1936 dodge

Guest leonc

Guest leonc

I am desperate for a bonnet hinge for my 1936 D2 dodge . Can anyone help with a new or second hand replacement. May be some one knows where i might be able to get one made in South Australia

or interstate. I have new hinge ends that I bought previously but now require a new hinge.

Hope some one can help me. Leonc

Guest leonc
hey how's it going.

can you post a profile picture and the length you need. I just want to see if it's the same as a 34 dodge. I may or may not be able to help.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for your reply, unfortuneately there was a misshap at the platers and now i have nothing to copy, photograph , etc , etc. I don't believe the 34 is the same , not sure but i think the 35 , 36 are the same.I will measure the bonnet length and get back to you later. Cheers leonc,

Plater? The center hinge is stainless, as is all the straight trim - except the grille center, ornaments and door handles. (Bumpers are plated too of course.)

It should just need polishing. :eek:

BTW: The hinge is 42 " long and has 20 rivet holes - (at least in the passenger's

side it does.)

:)
Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Plater? The center hinge is stainless, as is all the straight trim - except the grille center, ornaments and door handles. (Bumpers are plated too of course.)

It should just need polishing. :eek:

BTW: The hinge is 42 " long and has 20 rivet holes - (at least in the passenger's

side it does.)

:)

Interesting! When I first did over my '36 Dodge Coupe in 1968, we had to plate the centre hood hinge. It unfortunately was not stainless. Now this was a Canadian built car so perhaps these parts were sourced from different suppliers. I'm betting that an export Dodge could have had a plated steel hinge too. Anyone else have a non-stainless hinge?

Guest leonc
Interesting! When I first did over my '36 Dodge Coupe in 1968, we had to plate the centre hood hinge. It unfortunately was not stainless. Now this was a Canadian built car so perhaps these parts were sourced from different suppliers. I'm betting that an export Dodge could have had a plated steel hinge too. Anyone else have a non-stainless hinge?

1936 Dodge D2, Mine definately had a chrome plated centre strip . but formed with the centre strip is a strip of metal at right angles that is rivetted to the bonnet . the centre strip is then held at each end by brackets that are the same as those posted on the forum for sale.This then allows the chrome strip to rotate when the bonnet is opened. I hope this makes sense as it is difficult to describe. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. Leonc

I have not seen any stainless center hinges. All 3 of my cars had steel hinges that had their share of rust. I even have an NOS hinge I had replated due to normal shop wear. Only the main hinge is plated with chrome, the "male" part is plated with what looks like a yellow zinc finish. I have one old hinge but someone ,in their infinate wisdom, tried to weld it to the hood! Ruined the thing! I suppose that somebody with a lot of patience could rebuild it.

Guest brian stenberg

I have never seen a Stainless Steel hinge for a '35-'36 Dodge but they are available. Simply go to your local Mack dealer and order a hood hinge for a B model ('53-'66). You will need to cut the length to fit, spend a couple of minutes on the buffing wheel and your done. The last one I bought was Stainless and cost around USD$28.

Guest 1935du

I looked at the hood hinge on our 35' it appears to be stainless. Looking at it under the hood it is very clean no rust.