vinyle applique for '63 console???

riviadrian

Does anyone know of a good source for replacement vinyl console pieces for a '63? I was considering recovering myself with vinyl from the fabric store, but I'm not having much luck finding anything I like. All of mine are peeling back and broken.

Thanks,

-Adrian-

Try this link from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321108659772?var=510111996671&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I used this to replace some sections of my '63 console vinyl and the match was perfect. This material has a very thin fabric backing so it may adhere better than the original. I used that yellow Permatex weatherstrip glue (tube) and put on a smooth coat, then I used a tiny wooden roller to smooth out any imperfections. That hardest part is exactly measuring and then cutting out the new piece, but just take your time and use fresh blades/X-actos.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the console vinyl replacement kit from Clark's for my 63. I have to say, I was sorely disappointed. The texture is not at all like the "camera case" original. The material was more like a thin pebble finish rigid formica with an adhesive backing which makes it difficult or impossible to install on the radio surround portion which actually has a mild curve at the top. The section covering the shifter has an unusual texture gap halfway. Finally, the piece is not die-cut, rather hand trimmed and the kit they sent me had numerous trimming errors and cuts. This kit was pricey. I originally figured it would be worth it considering everything I've ever ordered from them has been top notch. Not this time. They agreed to take it back and return my money. They are a first class operation, but this is an exception. I'm going to get a sharp xacto blade and carve my own. PRL

Guest Kaber
I re-did my center console with something that is close enough to the original black vinyl.

When I had it at Lexington, I didn't hear any commentary about it.

I don't think anyone noticed. ;)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Con-Tact-180-in-x-18-in-Black-Faux-Leather-Drawer-Shelf-Liner-15F-C6BA3-06VP/100577483

Thanks Chuck! I stopped by Home Depot last night. That stuff looks great. There is plenty on a roll so I can make several tries LOL!

Tim