NEED SOME HELP AGAIN GUYS

papafarms

TRYING TO PUT THE TRANNY INTO THE BELLHOUSING,THE SPLINE SEEMS TO BE GETTING IN LINE, BUT I AM ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH FROM TOTAL FITTING TO THE BELLHOUSING, I BELIEVE THE END OF THE MAIN SHAFT IS NOT LINING UP WITH THE PILOT BEARING, ANY HELP GUYS, WHAT COULD BE GOING ON, ENGINE IS OUT OF CAR, 1940 SPECIAL, AS ALWAYS I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP EVERYONE GIVES, THANKS BOB ELLIOTT

The clutch disc may be out of alignment with the hole in the end of the crank. Not knowing what you have done .......when you mount the clutch/pressure plate to the flywheel, you need to use an alignment tool. An old input shaft or they now have plastic dummy tools to make certain the pilot bearing and the clutch splines are in alignment.

Bob, I had the same problem slipping the trans. in place on my `41 engine, I had used the alignment tool but still couldn`t get it to slip in.. I had the collar on the trans. while attempting to slip it in, but then tried putting the collar in the bell-housing first, still wouldn`t go.. Then I slipped a 4ft cheater pipe on the fork and pulled it backwards to release the pressure on the disc and it slipped right in.. Good luck Tom

What has always worked for me is to loosen the pp bolts so they are just hanging on. Slide the trans. in and the disc. will move to line up. Then tighten the trans bolts, then the pp bolts. Works every time and you don't need a spare pilot shaft. Rich

Here's a trick that I use. Put the transmission in high gear so that the mainshaft is straight through. Then you can grab the trans tailshaft, usually has a u-joint or a flange on it, and rotate the shaft back and forth a little to align the input shaft splines with the clutch hub. Another procedure to add to the other good comments on this problem. Bob H