Spark Plugs for 51 Ford

michel88

I put new spark plugs in my 1951 Ford about 25 years ago when I bought it from the original owners family. I put in Champion H-10 which is what the shop manual specified. I think it's about time to change them but I am confused on what plugs to use. The Champion H-10's do not seem to be available. When I go to websites for spark plugs they list plugs like NGK which would be fine but I am concerned if they are the correct heat range etc. I don't want to do any damage to the flathead V8 engine. Can anyone give me guidance? Thanks!

I have a set of 8 2-rib "coke bottle" blued-base Champion H10's. I believe this version was produced only up to 1947, thus is probably the only correct H10 plug for cars of that year and prior. They appear as new with electrodes showing no erosion, but are boxed under the "NU-LIFE" brand. Box says "The plug in this container has been serviced by Nu-Life Spark Plug Service of Pittsburgh". PM me if interested in acquiring.

Thanks Rusty, I saw that discussion but am hoping for the best on the Champions. I was concerned that the newer brands of plugs like NGK may not be the correct heat range. I am having a hard time getting the old plugs out. I have used PB Blaster penetrating oil but am having a hard time breaking them loose. I have 3 out and once they break loose they unscrew smoothly. I guess I was stronger 25 years ago. Any suggestions?

too late for this, but I always put a small amount of never seize on plug threads and you could leave them in there for more than 25 years and they will come out easier than yours are now. sometimes you can try tightening a stuck item a little bit and if it moves ever so slightly it will then loosen up to remove. capt den

Good news, the old plugs are out, and it worked by tightening then loosening. taping with a hammer on a breaker bar. The champions made the car run much stronger. I put a small amount of anti seize compound on the threads. Skyler thanks for your advice.