Brake & wheel conversion

Guest DavidCa

Guest DavidCa

I own an original 1925 Chrysler with 2 wheel mechanical brakes and demountable split rim, wood spoked wheel's. Modern tire shops don't have the equipment to handle this kind of set up nowdays, and in In S CA it is barely safe even for those of us who grew up with this stuff. My Grandkids love the car & look forward to driving it around when they are old enough. I see hotrods at the local shows that have modern brakes & wheels. I want to keep the classic original look, but I want the kids safe. Even the crashbox transmission & rearend require lubricants that are not commonly available now. Has any one done a conversion who could offer some tips David

Guest DavidCa

The Chrysler I own is a model 58. The four cylinder. WP Chrysler took over the Maxwell plant in '25 and after about June 1st, slightly modified Maxwells were Chryslers fours. The four cylinder line evolved into the Plymouth line in 1928. The larger, 6 cylinder Chryslers from those first days may have had hydraulics as standard equipment, I don't know, and they may have been an option on the smaller model. The car I have has external bands around the rear two drums. I think the early 4 wheel hydraulic ones also had external bands.

But all that aside, the two wheel brakes do work. The emergency brake can be activated additionally and is a quite helpful addition. But the car really was designed for era other than the conjestion of today's Newport Beach on a sunny afternoon. I need to figure out what to do.

It would show well in a museum. It is totally complete and runs as it should. The Grandkids really like it, and I must admit, I do too. But, when, where how, can I help them to enjoy it safely?

DavidCA, to your real question about brakes I personally would not alter what you have. I own both a four wheel hydraulic braked DB and a two wheel mechanical brake DB and the difference is not worth the effort. Adjusted correctly and in good condition two wheel brakes work pretty good. They will never be like a modern system, but neither is your steering. Have fun driving your car for what it is, OLD.

The Chrysler I own is a model 58. The four cylinder. WP Chrysler took over the Maxwell plant in '25 and after about June 1st, slightly modified Maxwells were Chryslers fours. The four cylinder line evolved into the Plymouth line in 1928. The larger, 6 cylinder Chryslers from those first days may have had hydraulics as standard equipment, I don't know, and they may have been an option on the smaller model. The car I have has external bands around the rear two drums. I think the early 4 wheel hydraulic ones also had external bands.

But all that aside, the two wheel brakes do work. The emergency brake can be activated additionally and is a quite helpful addition. But the car really was designed for era other than the conjestion of today's Newport Beach on a sunny afternoon. I need to figure out what to do.

It would show well in a museum. It is totally complete and runs as it should. The Grandkids really like it, and I must admit, I do too. But, when, where how, can I help them to enjoy it safely?

Hi David!

It is important that anyone who drives this grand old car has a good working knowledge of its abilities and disabilities (from today's standards). These cars were not designed and built in a time of modern expressways and high speed driving. Therefore they should be driven on roads that more exemplify the time period they were designed for. This is all part of owning and caring for these old vehicles.

Join a club related to the model of car you have or a general club that covers cars of that vehicle's time period. Talk to other drivers of these vehicles. Be sure to have the Grandkids along when you do. They will be able to learn right along with you about how the car works, some of the history of the time period and safe operation of the vehicle. There is no need to destroy a perfectly well operating piece of history in an effort to modify it to do something it was never designed for. If it is imperative to drive on the modern expressways in your area, then consider a '60's or '70s car for the Grandkids. Even some of those you will need to "learn" about to operate safely because of their lack of seat belts in some early models, non-collapsible steering columns, lack of crush zones, single hydraulic vs dual hydraulic braking systems and on and on.

The point being is each of these old wonders have contributed to driving history in their own way for a very long time. We should honor that history of design, and expanded ability to travel by learning about and using the cars in a fashion compatible with their time period. It is great to drive at 25 MPH with the wind in your hair, smelling the farm fields, and wondering what you will see around the next corner. THAT is what an old car is about.

If a grand old piece of iron is modified beyond its original design purpose it is no longer a piece of history but a play thing for those with deep pockets. It moves into a whole different realm. You own a great piece of history. Make it serve you and the rest of the public by showing itself off and being the ambassador it is for its past. There are safe ways to do this and you have a great start here on the Forum. Talk to people. Find out how to make the car work up to the specifications it was designed with. It will serve you well. But don't try to make it something it is not. Enjoy it for what it is and can be. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sodomojo
Hi David!

It is important that anyone who drives this grand old car has a good working knowledge of its abilities and disabilities (from today's standards). These cars were not designed and built in a time of modern expressways and high speed driving. Therefore they should be driven on roads that more exemplify the time period they were designed for. This is all part of owning and caring for these old vehicles.

Join a club related to the model of car you have or a general club that covers cars of that vehicle's time period. Talk to other drivers of these vehicles. Be sure to have the Grandkids along when you do. They will be able to learn right along with you about how the car works, some of the history of the time period and safe operation of the vehicle. There is no need to destroy a perfectly well operating piece of history in an effort to modify it to do something it was never designed for. If it is imperative to drive on the modern expressways in your area, then consider a '60's or '70s car for the Grandkids. Even some of those you will need to "learn" about to operate safely because of their lack of seat belts in some early models, non-collapsible steering columns, lack of crush zones, single hydraulic vs dual hydraulic braking systems and on and on.

The point being is each of these old wonders have contributed to driving history in their own way for a very long time. We should honor that history of design, and expanded ability to travel by learning about and using the cars in a fashion compatible with their time period. It is great to drive at 25 MPH with the wind in your hair, smelling the farm fields, and wondering what you will see around the next corner. THAT is what an old car is about.

If a grand old piece of iron is modified beyond its original design purpose it is no longer a piece of history but a play thing for those with deep pockets. It moves into a whole different realm. You own a great piece of history. Make it serve you and the rest of the public by showing itself off and being the ambassador it is for its past. There are safe ways to do this and you have a great start here on the Forum. Talk to people. Find out how to make the car work up to the specifications it was designed with. It will serve you well. But don't try to make it something it is not. Enjoy it for what it is and can be. :)

Very Well said D-2 I enjoy my '36 Dodge B for what it was built to do. If I feel the need for a freeway drive, I take something else. For many, history is what it is all about. Preserving a time capsule in away.

Sodomojo