1932 Buick-McLaughlin 56C

gebo

I have been offered a Buick 1932 Buick-McLaughlin 56C (8Zyl.)

Can anyone tell me something about the engine. Any particular problems? Anything to look for?

How about parts availability? Rare stuff or easy to get? Has the engine been used in other models? How much is the consumption to 100 miles?

Thanks!

gebo <o:p></o:p>

Mark or other readers

you gave me no answer to the question of spare parts and the engine, can anyone tell me about the situation?

Attached is a picture of the engine. I marked some positions with arrows, one is on the exhaust system. It seems it has a crack. Is it possible to repair this?

The other two arrows point to something that looks like a copper wire with a distributor. Does anyone have an idea what that could be or what purpose it serves?

gebo

post-73942-143142505792_thumb.jpg

There are almost no new spareparts to buy for 1904-1950s Buicks,some new parts has been made for those cars but far away from Ford or Chevrolet.Almost everything can be repaired,but sometimes it can take a year or two,sometime a week if you are lucky.

If you are new in this hobby why not by a Ford or Chevy at the first and see how it works to drive an very old car and even repair if need too.

We,who have had this type of cars as Buick or other not common cars as 1900s or 1930s don`t have those questions as you have,for us it`s a challange to fix everything if it dosen`t work.

I`m an owner of 1923-1924-1925 Buicks since 1967 and also 1956 Buick since 1995,The hardest one for me to fix parts to is my 1956 Roadmaster just becuse I had to buy everthing from US.

Leif in Sweden.

Mark or other readers

you gave me no answer to the question of spare parts and the engine, can anyone tell me about the situation?

Attached is a picture of the engine. I marked some positions with arrows, one is on the exhaust system. It seems it has a crack. Is it possible to repair this?

The other two arrows point to something that looks like a copper wire with a distributor. Does anyone have an idea what that could be or what purpose it serves?

gebo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]247192[/ATTACH]

Arrow on the left is pointing to the exhaust heat system, a lot of people remove them entirely (especially if you're not interested in originality) the copper wire would be the vacuum line for the gas tank

There are plenty of used parts available for the 50 series Buick straight 8 engines and drive trains. It takes time to find people willing to part with their spare parts. The exhaust control valve ( part with the crack) was opened ad closed from the dash heat control lever. The purpose was to provide heat to the fuel/air mixture. Gas in the 1930's was very low octane and needed heat to vaporize for good combustion. Modern fuels are just the opposite for these old engines. You wan to minimize the heat into the air fuel mixture. Most owners just blank off the the exhaust flow to the carburetor and leave the parts in place to look original.

The other parts indicated are unique to the 32 33 buicks. They are the operating portion of the "Wizzard control". The Wizzard control is a vacuum operated clutch that when operating correctly would alllow shifting without manual operation of the clutch. It was an idea way ahead of its time. I do not recommend that you try to use this system. Just let it in place to look original. The top brass fitting has one line to the Wizzard control and a second line to the windshield wipers. Both systems are vacuum operated off of the intake manifold.

I don't want to appear to be disparaging, but you do appear to lack mechanical knowledge of early auto engines. To own and drive these early cars requires the owner to gain specific knowledge about their cars or find a reputable mechanic that has experience with old cars. If you are serious about owning this 32 Buick, buy the 1932 Buick Specifications and adjustments manual and study it. They are available as reproductions online. The manual is extremely informative.

I will be glad to help you if you choose to be the proud owner of this car. They are a joy to drive when maintained in good working order. Don't hesitate to contact me by pm is you want a more detailed discussion on the car and parts.

Bob Engle

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Leif for the most part on availability of parts.

I would think that it is fair to say that the older the car/truck the smaller the fraternity of owners that it is good to know. I know the teens guys that I am in contact with we look for parts/ pieces for each other all the time.

That said, a great group of guys to know.