St 400 Torque converter

coast

Guest rusty_bucket

Coast,

My dad is currently replacing the torque converter in his 65 Rivi GS and he has had a very difficult time. He ordered one from online and it didn't fit, then he traded it into Obsolete Buick for what they said was the correct one. That one also does not seem to fit. The guy there said that there is no difference between the GS and non GS Rivi transmission, however I've always been told that the BS coded trans was a better built one. So to answer your question, Obsolete Buick might be a place to start. They are in Rockwall TX I think.

Only the valve body in the BS transmission is different. It allows for firmer shifts and higher shift points. Otherwise, all 65/66 ST400 transmissions are the same. Even though the bell housing changed, the '67 torque converter is also a variable pitch converter. Besides Buick, Olds, Pontiac, and Cadillac used the same converter in '65, '66, and '67.

You might also want to contact Tom Telesco in CT, or Russ Martin in CA about sourcing parts. There are also a lot of ROA guys who deal in Riviera parts and advertise in the Riview who can probably help you.

Only the valve body in the BS transmission is different. It allows for firmer shifts and higher shift points. Otherwise, all 65/66 ST400 transmissions are the same. /QUOTE]

The governors are also different.... but the torque converters are the same for the standard and GS transmissions. There are several companies in Chicago that specialize in converters but one that has been around forever is Dynamic. Try them and please report back to us. I`m wondering if the switch pitch converters are going obsolete? Good luck,

Tom Mooney