New member here, and a 23-45 parts question.

Guest BlitzPig

Guest BlitzPig

First a bit of introduction.

I am the mechanic for a small museum located in north west Ohio. In addition to tending to the collection, we take on customer work as well.

Which leads me to my current "patient", a 1923 model 23-45.

The garage where this stately touring car was stored for the winter flooded when the nearby river came over it's banks because of an ice jam.

The depth was 32" by my measurement of the waterline left on the sides of the poor thing. Fortunately the car was moved out quickly, and of course it was fresh water.

I have been going over the vehicle, cleaning, draining, inspecting, etc... In all honesty the brunt of the flooding was taken by the front wheel bearings, and the steering box,

only because they held water longer than anything else. Anyhow, the car will indeed run again, and with not too much being damaged.

Now my two questions.

Is an oil pan gasket set available anywhere for the 1923 6? I could make the paper gaskets for the sides of the pan, but I am not sure of the original size and shape of the cork seals for the front and rear of the pan.

A pre made set would be great if I could source one.

My next question is about the starter/generator unit. I want to send it out to a local place that does work on vintage electrics for a check over, but I'm not exactly sure of the removal procedure.

The next oldest Buick I have worked on was a '33 model 60, and while it had a shaft for the water pump, etc... it was considerably different from this model 45.

It would appear that I have to remove the cover on the upper bell housing over the starter gear train, but I'm not totally sure of the way the front shaft is connected to the motor.

I only have a reprint of the '23 owner's guide, and some very vague Dyke's manual reprints that are of little help here.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Terry

Terry,

Olsen's gaskets has the gaskets you need. Check ebay for the shop manuals I think there is at least one.

The manual will tell you how to remove the gen/starter, you have to remove the cover and then carefully drive out the pin in the water pump

coupling and slide the coupling back towards the pump, then the three nuts to remove the unit.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Guest BlitzPig

Thank you sir.

I did get the starter/generator out this morning on my own with some careful thought, and more careful use of hands, that thing is a monster.

I'm really looking forward to getting this old girl back on the road, both for my customer, and for myself, as keeping these wonderful old machines alive is

very gratifying.

Looking forward to the test drive as well. Operating these older cars is also a very satisfying thing, because it's so much more than mere "driving".

Seems I should consider an AACA membership, don't know why I've put it off for so long.

Thanks again.

Terry