65 Riviera vent gear question.

Rufcar

No, not a direct replacement. However, the vent gear assembly is usually repairable if the gear is not stripped. Often what happens is the drive gear (attached to the shaft) forces the back cover plate past the peened over button fasteners of the housing. This can be repaired by drilling out the housing and fastening the back cover plate with the fastener of your choice. I use a machine screw and nut w/loctite but one could drill and tap it also. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

I have order a body manual and its been taking a while to get here hence all my silly questions. To get to the vent gear what side do I need to remove the inside panel or the outside skin or both? Jim

In general they're pretty easy, but knowing where to get started can be tricky. The studs that go around the perimeter are fairly self explanatory. The ones on the hinge side are time consuming because the throw on your wrench is so small. The hardest part is getting the top off. On the front of the stainless piece that is under the vent window, there is a tiny screw that is only visible when the door is open; it's at the front of the stainless and points towards the back of the car. Remove it, then carefully slide that piece forward until it comes off. When it's off, you'll see some bigger screws that attach the skin to the inner door. Once those big screws are off, the rest is simple.

Ed