Option / RPO codes for 1963?

JJorgensen52

Gents -

In removing the rear seat from my Wildcat tonight, I found a "build sheet" pinned into the springs of the rear seat (it took quite a bit of effort to extricate it without further damage!)

post-97346-143142431119_thumb.jpg

I say build sheet because I've never seen a hand-written reference list like this, only the printed sheets used in the later 60's and up.

That said, it is my understanding that the RPO codes of this type (one letter, two numbers) were first used in 1963, but all the information I can find for option codes for '63 uses a single letter and number.

Does anyone know of a list of such codes? I tried matching them to the Chevrolet listings for B-bodies of this era, and some of them make sense, some do not, and some do not appear at all:

C08 - Vinyl Roof (this does not make sense)

A02 - Tinted Windshield Glass

A31 - Electric Window Control

C16 - ???

D33 - Remote Control Mirror

J50 - Vacuum Power Brakes

N33 - Tilt Steering

N40 - Power Steering

P26 - ???

T87 - ??? (Later GM RPO codes indicate cornering lights, which my car does not have)

U64 - ???

Y56 - ???

Y59 - ???

Likewise, I would be curious to know what the numbers in the first three lines mean. 4647 I recognize as the model code, but otherwise the numbers don't match anything I can find on the car.

Any insight appreciated!

Here's my guess:

1035.4647.RR.689.

95.4.15.P200.A.

1035 = body number? What is the body number on your body tag?

4647 = style number (Wildcat 2-door hardtop)

RR = paint code = Desert Sand

698 = trim code = Black Vinyl with Bucket-Type Front Seats, available on style 4647 and 4667

C08 - Vinyl Roof

A02 - Tinted Windshield Glass (sales code I7)

A31 - Electric Window Control (sales code U7)

C16 - Windshield Washer With Dual Speed Wiper

D33 - Remote Control Side View Mirror (sales code S7)

J50 - Vacuum Power Brakes (sales code C7)

N33 - Tilt Steering Wheel (sales code L1)

N40 - Power Steering (sales code C6)

P26 - White wall tires (sales code T1)

T87 - Cornering Lamps (sales code H2)

U64 - Sonomatic Radio With Electric Antenna (sales code D2)

Y56 - Protection Group - Door Guards and Gasoline Filler Door Guard (sales code S6)

Y59 - Safety Group (Back up lights, glare proof mirror, parking brake signal light, safety buzzer and trip odometer, courtesy lights) (sales code F4)

The codes with the single letters and numbers are sales codes and correspond to the codes found on the wholesale car order form and are also usually on the body tag for 1963 cars. Build sheets often ended up in the wrong car, so maybe that's why some of the options don't match. Post a picture of the body tag if you have one.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

Gents -

In removing the rear seat from my Wildcat tonight, I found a "build sheet" pinned into the springs of the rear seat (it took quite a bit of effort to extricate it without further damage!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]239010[/ATTACH]

I say build sheet because I've never seen a hand-written reference list like this, only the printed sheets used in the later 60's and up.

That said, it is my understanding that the RPO codes of this type (one letter, two numbers) were first used in 1963, but all the information I can find for option codes for '63 uses a single letter and number.

Does anyone know of a list of such codes? I tried matching them to the Chevrolet listings for B-bodies of this era, and some of them make sense, some do not, and some do not appear at all:

C08 - Vinyl Roof (this does not make sense)

A02 - Tinted Windshield Glass

A31 - Electric Window Control

C16 - ??? =

D33 - Remote Control Mirror

J50 - Vacuum Power Brakes

N33 - Tilt Steering

N40 - Power Steering

P26 - ??? = WHEEL 16 X 7 ALUMINIUM, 6 SPOKES

T87 - ??? (Later GM RPO codes indicate cornering lights, which my car does not have)

U64 - ??? = SPEAKER SYSTEM 4, DUAL FRT DASH MTD, DUAL STD RGE PKG SHELF/QTR

Y56 - ??? = MERCHANDISED PKG GRAN TOURING

Y59 - ??? = MERCHANDISED PKG PERFORMANCE PACKAGE

Likewise, I would be curious to know what the numbers in the first three lines mean. 4647 I recognize as the model code, but otherwise the numbers don't match anything I can find on the car.

Any insight appreciated!

Could not find C16, but the number falls in the area of some type of windshield wiper option.

The one other option could be that it was a sold to a rental car company as C1_ codes were for rental companies or port of entries. See below

C1J 3574 P INVOICE ADJUSTMENT

C1L 3576 P POE R PORT OF ENTRY NORTHWEST

C1M 3577 P POE R PORT OF ENTRY SOUTHWEST

C1N 3578 P POE R PORT OF ENTRY NORTHEAST

C1P 3580 P POE R PORT OF ENTRY SOUTHEAST

C1U 3585 P FIN R FLEET INCENTIVE ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR (B/C/D/E/F/H/J/K/L/N/U/W TRK CKGMLPST)

C1W 3587 P FIN R FLEET INCENTIVE DOLLAR RENT-A-CAR (A/B/C/D/E/H/J/K/L/N/U/W-TRK CKGMLST)

Unless it is a CL6 which indicates it was going to CL6 3021 P CTY R COUNTRY BOLIVIA

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

sean1997 - it would appear you are correct. Here's the cowl tag on my car:

post-97346-143142431686_thumb.jpg

My body number is 1037, so the first line ought to read: 1037.4647.CC.689 if this were the correct sheet. I suppose it makes sense that they could have gotten mixed up, with the same interiors and being only two body numbers apart.

Given the information you posted, the only options on that sheet that are not correct are C08 - Vinyl Roof, T87 - Cornering lamps, and U64 - Sonomatic with power antenna (my car has Sonomatic with a manual antenna)

Larry Schramm - that's interesting, I had no idea that a car sold to a fleet service would have had a different code. I have the original manual with delivering dealer information, so I suspect that to not be the case. C16 Windshield Washer with Dual Speed Wiper is installed on the car, so that makes sense.

Thank you for the information!

Edited by JJorgensen52 (see edit history)

When looking at a Fisher Data Plate, you need to remember that the data plate codes are only for the car as it was finished at the Fisher Plant. Any modifications to a basic body were handled by Fisher - holes in the door panels for electric window wiring, a tab here, a hole there; the glass, and the gack half of the car, rear speaker, defogger, etc.

Nothing on the data plate reflects what options were added during final assembly. Things like which kind of radio - AM, AM/FM, Wonderbar could be inserted without and differences in the body. Power steering, tilt wheel, power brakes, cornering lights, etc - the front half - could be done without any input from Fisher on the original body.

The only true way to know exactly what options came on your car from the factory are the original window sticker or the build sheet.

Ed

In the case of a "National Fleet Account", the vehicles "will appear" at a franchised GM dealer near to where the vehicles are to be delivered. The "Courtesy Delivery" nets the dealer about $25.00/vehicle (or possibly a little more, in more recent years). Many times, the dealer's fleet manager will have some advance notice of what's getting ready to happen, generally. In some cases, these national accounts operate through a "leasing company" who actually leases the vehicles to the customer, so the ultimate customer's identity is not openly disclosed.

The explanation about which part of the vehicle Fisher Body was responsible for and which part the "assembly plant" was responsible for, relative to body plates and build sheets, is a good one. I suspect that FB built the basic body shell at their facility (usually on-site? of the GM assembly plant) and then "the plant" finished it out. If the HVAC and sound systems were not part of Fisher's responsibility, that might tend to explain the big space under the instrument panels to allow for installation of the HVAC and sound systems? Unlike in later years when the instrument panel was installed as "an assembly" after the HVAC items had been installed. There CAN be several intersting things about how a vehicle is assembled! Once this information is known, it can make restoration/repair activities easier and better understood.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Consider this as well. The entire rear half of the car was built at Fisher Body. Some of the data plate items might seem inconsequential but if you think about the back half of the car coming together at Fisher Body, rear seat speaker, trunk release, rear defogger, etc. all make sense appearing on the data plate. Fisher body also installed the glass therefore it was necessary for the installers to know if there was no tint, tinted windshield only, or tinted glass all around and which windows, if any, were power. They installed the door skins on the Riviera so the door edge guards would have been installed at the same time. The other big items like power seats needed a large hole in the door for the wiring. Seat belts holes with nuts were needed in the floors. A/C needed the proper holes in the firewall. These were things that the body needed for later options during final assembly. The more you think about where things happened, the more the data plate makes sense.

Ed