1919 Start Chain Service Link ?

72caddy

Finally got back to reinstalling my Starter/Generator. Learn a few tricks that I will update my PDF with and post later but need to ask a question about the chain service link. Below is a picture of the link as I removed it. Notice that one shaft of the link has a sleeve that makes that shaft thicker. This shaft has oil holes and spins on the inner shaft. The other shaft does not have this sleeve. The sleeve spins freely but will not come off. I don't think the second shaft sleeve would have fallen out of the chain as it is a pretty tight fit (if it came of the inner shaft and stayed in the cahin link holes).

So I will land the plane: Are both shafts supposed to have this sleeve?

post-55762-14314242147_thumb.jpg

Good question and I would only guess that they would both have this, reminds me of a true roller timing chain. Let us know when you have a more definitive answer.

The connecting link in my '25 has two sleeves but they are not full sleeves........they are sort of "half sleeves"......on the order of a toilet paper roll halved lengthwise and are a PIA to install......especially when you are scared to death WHERE anything will wind up if it gets dropped....... :mad: ........plus it's such a handy location....... :eek:

The drive links have weird shaped holes that hold the "half sleeves" captive and also allow for the link pins.

Are you positive the other sleeve isn't still in the chain?

Positive it is not in the chain. Kinda sorta positive it was not there to begin with but through the kindness of a fellow DBer I should have another sleeve to apply.

I will be sure to add this information/caution to my instruction PDF so others do suffer my fate...

Probably not stated enough but this forum and it's members are awesome.

Man.......you are lucky! :)

When I opened the inspection cover on mine the first thing I noticed was there was no outer plate or cotter pins on the connecting link which just happened to be in plain view....... :eek: .......what were the chances of the chain be in exactly that location at that time?

Here is the answer. The link ony has one sleeve. My rookie mistake was looking at each chain end individually AFTER it was apart. Both ends have large openings for the serivce link sleeved leg. When the chain is together both those ends OVERLAP and are secured by the same service link leg. The thin leg goes into the chain link that DOES NOT come apart. As soon as I viewed a chain out of the car this dawned on me.

Putting the chain back together over the opening is stressfull. I have updated the PDF, fixed some spelling errors, etc.

Regarding Platt-deutsh's question: The oil pump pulls oil from the lowest section of the oil pan, and this has a screen (or should have). Screen is just above the bottom of the pan so nothing should be 'pulled-up'. the oil pump itself is at a higher level that the oil feed and is pretty well closed off and only has enough room to slip the gear out when removing the oil pump. With the oil pump gear shaft in place there is very little room for anything to get through.

StarterGenerator.pdf

post-55762-143142428957_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...