Heater Hoses Routed Under Intake Manifold

kdml

Anyone route their heater hoses under the intake manifold to clean up the top of the motor and cut down on the number of bends? I am thinking of doing it for my '65. Also, any reason the heater valve needs to be up towards the front of the motor? I am thinking of moving it behind the intake.

Thanks

Doug

post-64567-143142409106_thumb.jpg

post-64567-143142409104_thumb.jpg

Guest clamshells

My first concern would be vibration wear leading to premature failure (springing a leak) of the hose. Although IMO it looks wrong I'd insulate the contact points with another piece of hose.

Motor looks nice and dry, looks good, how about a solid fuel line and hidden fuel filter?

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Anyone route their heater hoses under the intake manifold to clean up the top of the motor and cut down on the number of bends? I am thinking of doing it for my '65. Also, any reason the heater valve needs to be up towards the front of the motor? I am thinking of moving it behind the intake.

Thanks

Doug

[ATTACH=CONFIG]236586[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]236587[/ATTACH]

No reason that you can't unless you're trying to duplicate the factory. Does your car not have the bracket that holds the valve?

Thanks all

I am not really overly concerned with originality; however, I am trying to keep a stock look (at least to the uninformed).

As far as concerns about wearing through the hoses, the only reason I was looking into this, is I ran the hoses under the A/C compressor bracket, as they were originally, an already noticed where the bracket was making a nice mark on the hoses.

I did not think about the fuel lines, but I will need to wait until I determine what carb I will be running long term. The original 4GC is on there for the initial start up, but I plan on moving up to something larger as the engine is not stock (despite the effort I am putting in to make it look somewhat stock)

Ed, I did not even know there was a bracket to hold the valve. When I bought the car there were no heater hoses or valve. Any picture of what the bracket looked like?

Ed, I did not even know there was a bracket to hold the valve. When I bought the car there were no heater hoses or valve. Any picture of what the bracket looked like?

Here's a picture from another thread in this forum. The bracket is painted like the engine. There's a spring clip - no color - that slides down from the top and keeps the valve in place.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/65-riv-water-valve-335309.html

Heater hoses were never run through the a/c compressor bracket. Usually they were side by side along the inside of the passenger side valve cover. The chassis manuals for my '63 and '64 show the proper routing of the hoses. I know that my '63 had a bracket that was held down by a valve cover bolt through which the hoses were routed.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks Ed

I think I have that bracket in a box of parts from the car. In any case, I am going to move the valve to the back of the intake, as there is room and it cleans up the front of the motor. BTW, if you look at the picture in the thread you provided, you can just make out what I meant by the routing of the hoses under the A/C bracket. You can see in the upper left corner of the picture the hoses are run under the A/C compressor bracket that mounts to the intake manifold. Can't tell you whether that is original, but the picture shows what I had originally done as well