I need a 264 / 322 measurement please

Rooster

I can get that for you later today Ken. Keep in mind that the dimension of the bh will be the same but 56 trannies are about 1 inch longer. Also the bh for a 6 bolt top tranny has a different bolt pattern than for the smaller 5 bolt. But since you group it with 264 I assume you are referencing the 5 bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate. If it is 5 9/16 then it's the same measurement as the Dynaflow bellhousing.

I have an idea, maybe it will work -- maybe not. I'm thinking of making up an adaptor plate for a Dynaflow bellhousing ( which I have spare ) and fitting a 5 speed manual O/D transmission ( to my modified '34 project ) Only problem could be the clutch fork pivot and / or slave cylinder mount.

Still would have to get a factory manual trans flywheel, which will prove difficult here. Or get something else to fit ??

Or get something else to fit ??

I used a Crager/Offenhauser 309 adapter to mate the 264 to Ford tranny in my 51 F-1. Most of the Ford top loader 3 or 4 speed trannies are pretty stout vs those made for column shift. Do the research and ask more questions...

Willie

Some used to claim those older Fords were made of "recycled beer cans", back then. Guess they NEVER suspected F-150s would really be made of aluminum some day!

Now, if you wanted something "automatic", there's one aftermarket automatic trans vendor that cuts the cast-on bell housing from a GM OD automatic, then makes a bell housing to fit that trans to different engines, if I read that ad correctly. THM700s, maybe? That might get the clutch and controls issue out of the way. Ought to be an ad in "Street Rodder" magazine, I suspect, or a link.

What about "floor tunnel" clearance? Drive shaft interface? Just curious.

Take care,

NTX5467

I have to fabricate a complete new floor anyway so that's not an issue.

I have a T700r4 here as a backup. Just thinking on a 264 with manual for a few more horses. I got a few tips from the V8 website on improving the 264 power.

I don't need tire screeching performance, just something that can get up and go a bit.

Willie --- an F-1 is a Ford pick up truck ?

How did the little 264 perform pushing it along.

Ken, yes that is the so called half-ton pickup of 51. A few construction pics on my server: http://www.buickrestorer.com/buford

With 3.92 rear gears the power comes on strong and fast. Even with that primitive spur gear 4-speed that requires double clutching, I would not want an automatic.

Willie