55 Buick Special Air Filter

Guest Davii

I am considering changing the original filter in my air cleaner from a wet configuration to dry for neatness purposes alone. Any advice on how to do this? Tips? Suppliers for the filter? Appreciate it.

Steve

BCCA #46041

Hi Steve,

I have a 1954 and assume the filters are similar. The previous owner didn't like the oil bath filter, so he cut a metal disc that sat inside the bottom of the filter housing that would raise a paper filter up. Then just made a disc for a cover. I thought about going back to original, but have decided to keep it as is because of the ease of maintenance. Fancy covers are readily available if you want to dress it up a bit. Carl

post-33892-14314239911_thumb.jpg

post-33892-143142399121_thumb.jpg

On a 55 if you modify the original be sure your new assembly is not higher than the original...there is very little clearance under the hood.

On the original oil bath, the mesh should not need to be cleaned. I just keep the oil level up and change when there is a lot of dirt in the bottom. That oil bath filter is superior to any paper filter...that's why off road equipment still uses them.

Willie