1918 Buck Center Door Question

W P

I have a 1918 4 cylinder center door closed body. Apparently Buick only made 700 of these cars so there is a very small amount of literature available as well as photos. Can anyone say for sure if the exposed wood around the windows of the body is painted or varnished on the 1918 closed body.

post-98118-143142359024_thumb.jpg

post-98118-143142359021_thumb.jpg

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

There is a photo of the Model E-37 (center door sedan) on page 63 of the Seventy Years of Buick book taken when it was new and it appears that the wood surrounding the windows was painted body color. Here are a couple of other photos from the internet showing the Model E-37 and they also show the window surrounds were painted.

One is from the Buick Gallery and Research Center in Flint, MI: http://www.remarkablecars.com/for-sale/showproduct.php?product=15367

The second is in the Sloan Museum: http://www.trombinoscar.com/buick/bk1801.html

I am not so sure the one on pg. 63 is painted. The upper body is a much lighter color and could be varnished wood in that faded black and white photo. It is possible that natural wood could have been an option like natural wood artillery wheels.

The Sloan car does appear to be painted.

I suggest that removing some hardware from the wood frame may reveal residual paint if there was any.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Mark:

The car in the photo on page 63 I was referring to is the middle photo in the right column of the couple and their children with their newly purchased Model E-37 sedan. The one in the top right photo appears to be two-toned paint.

Fred

Although I do not know the specific car or have details on it, I have read every scrap of automotive literature I have seen since 1959. In 1918 cars were still defined as machines. The Art & Color Department was still a decade away and form truly followed function. I would say the pieces would be lacquered black to protect and preserve them, as well as to maintain the machine look externally. It just seems too early in the design of the enclosed body to look for the aesthetics of a natural varnished style.

Bernie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great when you come across things that for years you had assumed to be correct then have been re-educated. I came across an old Antique car calendar from 1972 and this was described as a 1915 6 cylinder Buick. But really looks like the 4 cylinder 1918 E-37. Even my Gunnell's 3rd edition of Standard Catalog of Buick has massive amounts of miss-information. Mostly incorrectly identified photos. More interesting on this print is that it shows the exterior frames in natural wood. I am still not convinced that is the way it should be. Could be an artists rendition of a 1960s restoration. I know my 1918 catalog shows no enclosed bodies on the 4 cylinder chassis to be able to check. I would think Buick would have to have sent an advance pamphlet to dealers. As this was a mid year addition.

post-79073-143142388393_thumb.jpg