1965 Riviera 401

vektro

I was looking at a 65 Riviera for sale that looks to be in great shape. Silver with black deluxe vinyl interior, PS,PB,PW,A/C. Power antenna, and tilt wheel. Stock steering wheel(not wood). Engine bay looks very clean, with a 401, but the valve covers are Buick green. I thought all 65's had ribbed valve covers that said Buick. I am concerned that maybe this isn't the original engine, or were some of them like that?

Car has new tires, rally type wheels, newer brakes. Body and paint, as well as interior, are in very good shape!! 74,000 miles. Older owner, who has had it for about 9 yrs. Only issues are clock not working, power antenna not working( says the mast got bent), and stock radio recently quit working. All these seem like fairly easy fixes to me. Asking price $18,000. Is that a reasonable price(at least from my wonderful description lol) ? Should I be concerned about those valve covers? I am very interested in this car. Any advice would be appreciated.

Only the Super Wildcat (two four barrel) engines came with the ribbed aluminum valve covers. All others, 401 and 425, were steel; painted the same color as the block.

It's easy to tell if the original engine is still in the car. Here's a link that shows where to look for the numbers. The engine serial number should match the car's VIN. Just look at the picture, there's no text that pertains to it. You might have to do some scraping to see the numbers. The number on your left as you look at the engine tells you what the cubic inches are. LT for a 401, or LW for a 425.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_where.php

All the fixes you mentioned have been discussed on the forum. If you search the archives, you'll be able find answers. The clock probably just needs to have the points cleaned. Lots of places restore original radios. The hardest, but not difficult, part will be to find a straight mast for the antenna.

Ed

Thanks RivNut!! You have come through with the answers once again! I know I'm not alone in appreciating your help and expertise on this forum. This has been a great place for me to peruse and get more knowledge about these cool old Rivieras. I may soon be joining the Riviera Owners Association, if things go well. I am very interested in this '65. Does $18,000 seem like a reasonable price to you? I think it's not bad from what I have seen other asking.

Now would be a good time to do a close up, hands on inspection. If you've been reading different threads, you'll know where to look for rust, etc. Pay to get the car on a lift and look it over really well. The price seems fair if the rest of the car checks out.

Ed

OK Vektro: Sounds like a real nice piece for 12K...MY MONEY! Look at it very carefully. Like Ed suggested, get it on the rack and inspect it underneath. Even if you are a even a really good car guy take another friend with you that you would trust to be non-biased and get another take on it.

Do the clams work? Heater core and heating system in tact and working properly? A/c blowing cold? More hi-resolution pictures and more details about everything can fill the gaps. As far a matching numbers I wouldn't trip on that. I would be most concerned with the condition of a 50 year old engine. The tranny is a TH-400, the cheapest rebuild in most shops, not that much of a worry. Mitch

irlforfun,

Thanks for the help. Clams do work fine, even close with no gaps. Heat and a/c both work great, as well. Chrome is in good shape, car has been garage kept for all it's life. Seems to be all original and in good shape, but as we all know, looks aren't everything! I agree that a closer inspection is in order.

Looks like a good original car. Turn the battery around to get the positive terminal away from the inner fender (too close to the hood bracing.) Other wise if there's no hidden rust, and there are no other concerns other than those you've already expressed, it looks like a good deal. Figure a couple of hundred to get the radio fixed (or upgrade to an AM/FM,) about the same to find a replacement antenna, and some elbow grease to get the clock working and you'll be good to go. Make and offer, they can say no and you can counter until you come up with an agreed upon price. You'll be money ahead starting with something original, complete, and running than trying to find a fixer upper and getting it back to original.

Ed

If car spent time in a humid or snowbelt climate be very thorough on inspection for rust. If the floors are rock solid with no repairs, other known rust prone areas check out as being solid and the chrome/pot metal is very nice then $18k probably isn't too far off IMO. I have found if an owner makes an effort to keep the A/C working then there probably isn't much else that was neglected. Cars with rust free original metal can demand a premium especially on an icon year like the 65. Other than that for $18k I'd expect the engine to have been rebuilt whether its original to car or not. This is not a good time of year to be selling a classic so you may have that working in your favor as a negotiating tool. Take your time, keep asking questions and try not to let emotion influence the purchase decision. Post more pics if you can.

Well,I have decided to buy this car just a bit under the asking price. I have put some earnest money down, and agreed on a price. As long as the car passes my inspection, and everything is as presented in pictures, and on my 200 or so questions about the car I discussed with the owner on the phone, it is a done deal! If not, it's on to looking for another one. I think that the '65 Rivs on getting hotter,as far as demand, and it looked like a nice enough car that I didn't want it to get away. Several things attracted me to this car, over some others I have looked at. Mainly , the car seems to be all original. It has only been owned by 3 people. The last owner had it for 19 years, this for about 5 years. The last 2 owners have been older gentlemen, who just loved the body style and kept her in the garage all the time. The last owner says he has never had it in the rain. The 74,000 miles seems to be legit, as does the originality of the car. Current owner, I believe, is a stand up guy in my several conversations with him. I have dealt with several people in my career, and in life, and I am confident in my ability to judge folks, given the chance to talk with them for awhile. While I am not too comfortable buying a car before I have actually seen it in person, sometimes you just have to have a little faith in other people. I have bought another car, for over twice the money, like this before, and everything went quite well. I have bought a motorcycle the same way, again for more than this transaction, and it was great! A person does need to be careful, and do the research to know what they're getting into. I have been all over this forum, and several others I have looked at cars from every website you guys suggest to me and likely 30 more. I have spent countless hours researching the 1st gen Riv's and am getting very good at all thing Riv. I do do the homework and research on not only cars, but TV's, fans, breadmakers, or any other thing I want to buy.

It usually takes awhile before I make a decision, but when I do I am confident that I made a right choice. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your great advice and insight. It made learning about these cars a lot easier!! Cheers!!

By the way, I am so confident in getting this car, I have signed up for the Riviera Owners Association for a 3 year membership. Thanks ROA!!

Congratulations on the purchase. Sounds like you did your homework and will be getting a really nice example. I agree that if you are a good judge of character and spend enough time communicating you can weed out sellers who aren't being completely honest therefore drastically increasing chances of success.

Look forward to hearing and seeing more pics when you get the car. Best of luck on the road ahead and welcome to ROA!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Welcome to the ROA, and the wonderful world of Riviera !!

Looks like you made a very good choice, and I know your gonna enjoy that '65 - it's a beauty.

Sometimes the 'hunt', can be the best part of buying a 'new/used' vehicle, and I think it shows in your purchase.

. . . congratulations and enjoy !!

Congrats, make sure and post lots of good quality pics of the car when you get it.

BTW, I bought my 1987 Grand National Sight Unseen (First car I ever bought like that in my life) When I received the car, it exceeded my expectations, and I am one picky MO FO, let me tell you.

Hope all works out for you, and from what I see in the few pics, it looks like a very nicely kept original car. Only thing I'd loose is those hokey pinstripes.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Nice car

congratulations

welcome to ROA

having done your homework really pays off

the price seems fair, for a good solid car.

everything else can be corrected, as long as you don't start with a rust bucket

I took the plunge 2 years ago, and haven't regretted it yet

between the ROA and this forum you will find just about everything you will need to have a great ride