I hope you're enjoying the Gooding & Co. auction live online right now (Jan 18, 2014)

MarrsCars

Here's the link to view the auction: http://www.goodingco.com/auction/scottsdale-2014/

Also, a Piece Arrow just went across the block (no sale) that David Gooding stated had "cast aluminum body", never heard of this. Anyone have info on how this was accomplished? It would seem to me that cast aluminum would be rather thick but maybe there's a process I am not familiar with.

Here's the link to view the auction: http://www.goodingco.com/auction/scottsdale-2014/

Also, a Piece Arrow just went across the block (no sale) that David Gooding stated had "cast aluminum body", never heard of this. Anyone have info on how this was accomplished? It would seem to me that cast aluminum would be rather thick but maybe there's a process I am not familiar with.

Here is a great article about how these case bodies were made....

http://www.pierce-arrow.org/features/feature26/index.php

I enjoy watching the Gooding auctions. Charlie Ross is a really good auctioneer, as well as a nice man. I think that given the other cars that were at the auction, the Pierce was out of place and probably is worth more, but not to this crowd. I missed part of today - what did the Duesenberg bring?

@Dave Mitchell I agree, Mr. Ross keeps everyone in line and the auction moving. :) I didn't see what the Duesenberg and a few other cars went for, I had to take a call during part of the auction, but the results will be posted on this page shortly. So far I only see 2013 shown. http://www.goodingco.com/results/

@Karguy Thanks!!! I love this kind of detailed reading, and as special as they have always been, I will never look at a Piece Arrow the same way again thanks to your guidance.

@Bleach I couldn't buy any of those cars either, and if the values seen the last two days are any indication, I may not be able to afford my own car in the near future!

Edited by MarrsCars
grammar (see edit history)

He does Marrs, plus he has some humor without being a total smart aleck like some of the others working now. When I sold my car with Gooding, Charlie worked really hard to get it done. I really like your 62 MB coupe - my first car (running and driving) was a 1962 220Seb, same color as yours, but a 4 door sedan, which I drove to high school. There used to be a 1918 Pierce 66 with the same cast aluminum 4 place roadster right there in Portland. I came very close to buying it.

He does Marrs, plus he has some humor without being a total smart aleck like some of the others working now. When I sold my car with Gooding, Charlie worked really hard to get it done. I really like your 62 MB coupe - my first car (running and driving) was a 1962 220Seb, same color as yours, but a 4 door sedan, which I drove to high school. There used to be a 1918 Pierce 66 with the same cast aluminum 4 place roadster right there in Portland. I came very close to buying it.

Small world this car one. :) In reality, I will probably never sell my coupe, I'm sure my heirs will be happy with that likelihood. I'll bet you loved revving that beauty as much as I do today.

Yes, I really did enjoy that car and wish I still had it. I bought mine in 1976. Keep that coupe! We restored a Packard coupe for a customer in Portland.

You know, just a couple of years ago Benz guys were telling people the sedans weren't worth buying if you had to put money into one, but their prices have also started to climb as well and many people haven't even noticed and price like it was last year, so they are still achievable by mortals and I think represent excellent value for money, especially the MFI cars like you had, the only way to go really. People are afraid to touch that complex analog computer of a fuel injection system but if it hasn't been monkeyed with it likely will never need any real servicing or adjustment. They are bulletproof, even the auto box is extremely durable and I don't know of one that has failed. I think the normal course of appreciation with most other cars also applies here, with cabriolets rising in value first, then coupes but the exception is the sedans. Normally a sedan will languish infinitely but I truly believe the recent uptick in sedan values is because they have a unique design from the coupes, no shared sheet metal tho they do look similar in the doghouse and most can't tell, tho the coupe/cab grille is swept back and the hood/fenders are slightly longer. If you want fins you can't have them on a coupe or cab, not much anyway, so that is a truly unique design and is becoming appreciated by the younger crowd who associate fins = cool, which is true of course. :)