1953-1960 BUICK AIR CONDITIONER PRESS RELEASES, FACTS BOOK AC INFO, AC OWNER'S MANUALS

archiveman2977

1-15-14

I am writing an illustrated history of the evolution of factory air conditioning and am currently seeking 1953-1960 Buick press releases, owner's manuals, fact book information and other pertinent ephemera which includes the initial road testing, introduction and updating of the systems.

With this exercise, the legacy of the air conditioning literature will be utilized and recorded.

In a much larger context, I have collected multi-make AC literature and am in the process of writing about AC evolution through illustrations of all car makes, 1953-1960, plus the 1940-1942 time period.

I will appreciate your response and I will ensure that your contributions will be credited in the publication.

Thank you,

Archiveman2977

Allen B. Simons

Edited by archiveman2977
INSERT -BUICK- IN TITLE (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

ALLEN, I'm very interested in your project because I have installed factory air conditioning in my '57 Roadmaster. I'm going to need lots of information as I eventually set it up.

I think the only A/C literature I have is a simple 4-sided sales brochure for Car Cooling, as Buick called it. I'll try to find it and post a scan.

1-16-14

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

First, I followed your 1957 Buick Roadmaster thread--you will be proud of a top-of-the-line Buick when it's finished. The 1957 Roadmaster epitomizes a beautiful, --swoopy-looking-- luxury car of the mid-50's.

Yes, please, scan your brochure for me. I will add it to my collection. I am focusing on the literature/illustrations aspect of factory air, rather than the hands-on repairs of the mechanical equipment that is featured in the shop manuals. Currently, my collection includes copies of the 1957 Buick Facts Book AC section, the Buick Product School Manual 1957 AC section, Buick Owner's Guide 1957, first edition AC section, and Buick 1957 Guide, third edition, AC section, and a color image of a "blued-out" cabin surrounded by a yellow Buick two-door hardtop with red-colored background mountains, presented in the 1957 Buick brochure.

Interestingly, there is an update for the upper center AC outlet, the original with vertical bars only, and the added "grille" later added to cover the blank holes of the first version. The first version is in a dash view of the Buick Owner's Guide 1957, first edition, while the latter version is shown in the dash view, 1957 Buick Owner's Guide, third edition. (See -4- attachments)

post-75504-143142349959_thumb.jpg

Also, Rob, check out the thread by "buick man," 3-11-2011: "1957 Buick AC Dash Vent Question."

Thanks again for the offer of your brochure copy.

Regards,

Archiveman2977

Allen

post-75504-143142349946_thumb.jpg

post-75504-143142349952_thumb.jpg

post-75504-143142349955_thumb.jpg

Allen,

PM me and come by my shop. I think I may have a few items you may want to look at, including a 55 with factory air. I will see what all I have.

1-17-14

Hi, buick5563/Mike,

Thanks for your response. Since I live in the Austin suburb of Bastrop, a visit to your shop sounds great.

I will schedule it with you after February 1.

I viewed your 1955 Buick Special. It's a knockout. Is it Cascade Blue/Dover White or Gulf Turquoise/Dover White?

Regards,

Archiveman2977

Allen

You know over at Team Buick they have a library section of data and manuals they have started. Have I missed something here or do we have one such area on this site for our post war Buicks for folks to go to for similar reference materials, for example the A/C product manuals of which Allen refers to above in # 3 above ? A collection would be handy and helpful to say the least. Everyone scan their copies cooperatively and post them for

all to reference with a water mark on them so everyone knows from whence they came. Any ideas or suggestions?

1-16-14

Hi, Buicknutty/Keith,

Thanks for your response. Yes, please scan and send me what you have. Often a good, recent scan will have a far better presentation than some of the copies that I made over the years with questionable-quality library copiers.

Thanks,

Archiveman2977

Allen

1-25-14

Hi, Buicknutty/Keith,

I have just realized that I didn't send you a PM with my address for you to send me your 1956 Buick literature!

I will PM you now--and thanks for your generous offer of the literature.

Allen

Archiveman2977

• 2 weeks later...

2-4-14

Hi, Fr. Buick,

Muchas gracias, many thanks for sending me a copy of the 1953-1954 BUICK AIR CONDITIONER MANUAL. The copy you sent is ...far better...than my original copy from a poor copier.

In addition, I found you in a USA TODAY video with your beautiful 1954 Buick Super.

The combination of the two inspires me to ...keep writing... in the chapter about the 1953 Buick Airconditioner.

Thanks again, Allen

Archiveman2977

I have a good photocopy of the 53-54 FSM for AC. I would be happy to mail it to you. Address?