Digital clock radio

LINC400

Ok, this is not car related at all. But I was hoping someone might have an idea anyway. I have a retro art deco clock radio that I bought new in the late 1980's. It has worked faithfully for years, and still works, but the digital numbers started burning out. It has a "7 bar" number 8 that with assorted bars burned out looked like a 3 or backwards 7, etc. Then it finally burned out all the numbers.

Is there anyone that can fix this? Maybe someone that works on digital car radios? I hate to give up on it, and get a boring regular alarm clock since it fits in perfectly with the 1940's antiques in my house. I looked on Ebay for a replacement, but to my surprise, they are pretty rare and the only two I found were selling for $90 - $125, and they would not send pictures of them with the numbers lit up, so who knows if they even worked.

I'd rather take it in or send it someplace than try to take it apart myself and then just end up with a disassembled mess since I have no clue about electronics.

This is a new one on me. Do they still make the digital display numbers? I would be thinking about buying replacements from an online electronics place, or even buying a cheap clock at Walmart and putting new display in your clock.

I suppose that could be tried as a last resort if no one can fix it. But I used it as an alarm clock. So I don't know how you would hook up another clock's display numbers to work the alarm and radio. Plus they would have to fit in the current space. I have a cheap digital clock I am using now as an alarm, but the numbers are a different size and would not fit (too big).

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

I typed in "digital clock repair Illinois" and came up with several possibilities. Might try it.

What results did you get? I have tried that many, many times, and despite typing "digital", once you click on the links, the places only repair grandfather and mantle clocks, pocket watches, and speedometers. I have never found one that says they will repair a digital clock.

I also thought about contacting the manufacturer (Cicena), But the info I have found shows they were in Kowloon, and I'm not sure if they are even still in business. Besides, years ago, I contacted Kraco to see if they could repair an 8-track to cassette adapter that they made, and they just laughed and hung up on me. I expect I'd probably get the same reaction from Cicena.

Try Mouser or Allied electronics online. They have tons of electronics and even the digital number displays. Worth a look.

I checked those out, and they sell parts, but it doesn't look like they do any repairs.

I was just hoping someone might have had a digital car clock repaired, and knew of a place that might work on it.

I do not do repairs, however I was involved in the electronics world for many years so here's some ideas. Your clock may have a display that is separate from the driver section of the timer / display controller. If that is the case then a new display can be installed if you can find one. If the display is built-in to the driver / timer electronics then it gets a bit more complicated as you might need to find the complete assembly to get it to work. Each segment is controlled by the driver electronics that basically turns on the required segments to make the correct time appear.

Look for an electronics repair shop, the kind that does TVs, radios and the like. They should have more insite into the electronics. Parts availability and cost to repair are something to consider. In this day of throw away devices, old spare parts and people to repair things are getting hard to find.

Terry

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

Linc, you have my sympathy. The oldest appliance in my house is a digital clock radio that I must have purchased in the mid or late seventies. I don't even recall what brand it is but it is the best playing clock radio I have ever seen. If it ever dies on my it will be like losing an old friend.