Update on the 49 New Yorker

Guest Tusler 49 New Yorker

Well I greased the front end today. The upper and lower spindle bushings are nice and tight and the tie rod ends are good also :cool:

I was having a problem with Hesitation so I did the old trick of revving the motor and then cutting off all the air to the carb while holding the throttle wide open, creating a vacuum and sucking all the dirt particle (hopefully) out of the carb. It worked some because now if I take off regular from a complete stop it does not hesitate anymore, of course if I floor the pedal it will still hesitate some but it is definitely better than it was.

I want to mod the air cleaner by putting a currently available air filter in the bottom part of the air cleaner with no oil in it and having about 1 inch space all around the filter then just take a round metal piece the size of the filter and put it on top to hold it in place with the wing nut.

All advice on this is appreciated. Thanks and Happy Motoring:)

Your factory oil bath air filter will provide better filtration. You will not gain anything other than possibly creating gaps where unfiltered air can get to the engine. Car makers went to paper filters only because they were lower profile for lower hoods and cheaper to make than the oil bath filters.

Best advice is leave it alone. At tune up time take the top off and check the oil. Top up to the line if it is low. When the dirt and silt builds up over half way take the base off, drain and wipe it clean. Soak the filter (top part) in a pan of cleaning solvent or Varsol. Swish it around then let it drip dry. Do not blow compressed air thru it, you will make channels in the filter medium and spoil it.

Install the base, fill it with 50 motor oil. Pour a little oil into the filter medium and put it back on.

There you are done. Driving on modern paved roads you only need to do this every 10 years or so and top up once a year. It could hardly be simpler or cheaper. 1 quart of oil will last for years.

You need 50 motor oil which you can order from any auto parts store. Use 30 only in below freezing weather.

Thanks for the input about the oil bath, I was looking at it from the -it's so dirty angle- but if I only need to mess with it once a year or so I will definitely leave it original.

Thanks again!

Check it once in a while at tuneup time or oil change time. This only requires unscrewing the wing nut, lifting the top off and peeking inside.

Clean and refill with oil when it is full of dirt which will probably take 10 years or longer, unless you do a lot of driving in desert dust storms.

The filter can get full of dirt in a day, in extremely dusty conditions but if you drive in nice weather on paved roads, they will go for years and years.

I mainly want to drive this to local car shows and just hangout and "talk cars" I will be surprised if I put 4000 miles a year on it.

I just ordered my next project!, I ordered a 6 volt electric fuel pump. I am wearing out the starter getting it started when this car has set for a week so I am hoping this will get the juice up to the carb with a lot less effort.

I was looking at certechgels and may give it a try to reduce the blow-by. I am not getting any smoke out the tail but I notice the blow-by when idling in traffic, if anyone has experience with this I am all ears. I have looked at everything on the Internet about it and spoke with the owner of the biz I will leave a report on how it goes if/when I do this in a couple of weeks.

The site is http://certechgels.com/

Edited by Tusler 49 New Yorker (see edit history)

If my cars set for any period of time I simply loosen the wing nut on the air cleaner and pour a little gas down the threaded rod. Works every time and I don't even get dirty. There is usually a dip of sorts where the wing nut tightens and I use one of those pressurized squirt cans that I keep full and near the warehouse door.