1965 rivera grand sport dual quad value

Guest 1abv

Hey all first time poster had a question for yall...

Im looking at buying a 1965 riv GS not matching numbers. The engine is a 425 dual quad but its not the original motor (I think the motor is a 65). The car is a GS though. Lets say the car is in decent condition meaning no rust, decent paint everything works. Is the car going to take a huge hit because of the engine? I know this is a bit speculative of a question. Thanks in advance!

Welcome from So Cal.

Sorry, I can't help but I will be watching for the feedback you get. Lots of knowledgable people here.

I've owned my 65 non-Gran Sport Riv over 20 years & recently found out I don't have the original motor either…bummer…kind of a kick in the u know whats. I just assumed it was never tampered with…you know what they say about assuming…

David

I bought my car in 1978 with an Electra code engine. I replaced it with a 425 after a piston disintegrated about 12 years ago. I don't feel like I have taken a big hit on the value yet. My wife has a very reasonable price that I told her to sell the car for if I am dead and it doesn't really reflect the numbers.

Were you thinking about a shorter term of ownership?

Bernie

Hi,

Matching numbers, or documentation in support of, has always carried value in collectible muscle cars. Aside from supporting originality which is often linked to rarity, matching numbers suggests the car, which was originally produced and marketed to be abused, was not, and was used for such purposes sparingly. The muscle car market has slowly accepted documentation as a substitute for actual original components because the market HAD TO. There are just too many muscle cars missing their original drivetrains. The acronym "NOM", not original motor, has become common and affects value much less than it did when the muscle car market started heating up.

Having said that, and believing the run up in values of the GS Rivs has been due to their muscle car appeal, the Riviera GS, IMO, is an exception. There are so many examples which still retain their original drivetrains an NOM candidate is solidly in the minority. Assuming value or potential appreciation is a priority, I would not even consider purchasing an NOM Riviera GS unless supporting documentation, color combo, equipment or very low mileage were part of the equation. In short, in my opinion, an NOM car takes a significant hit in value. For what it`s worth....

Tom Mooney

Hey all first time poster had a question for yall...

Is the car going to take a huge hit because of the engine? I know this is a bit speculative of a question. Thanks in advance!

Some of this could also depend on what kind of money the seller is asking for the car. If he's asking for enough money to buy a summer home in Aruba, then you'll be the one taking the hit when you go to sell it. If on the other hand, you can buy it for a pittance, you won't have to worry about taking a hit when you sell it. That LX engine code is a big seller. Do you know what engine is in the car now? If it's another LX engine, with some documentation, you won't take the same hit as you'd take if the engine is a 401 2bbl motor from a LeSabre that just has the 2x4 parts added to it. You should ascertain for yourself exactly what the replacement engine is.

Several years ago, before I educated my self enough on these cars, I bought a fully loaded, but in need of restoration what I presumed to be a 1965 GS. It did have some of the correct equipment, including a LX coded 425, but was missing the original carbs, and some other items. Originally I was planning on giving the car a frame up restoration as I am now doing on a matching numbers non-GS 65, but due to the car not being a matching numbers and documented GS, I decided to sell the car.

I agree with Tom.

OK 1ABV: My take? If you are going to turn it into a black hole the original engine is important. It's also important to start out with a nice car to fix up no matter what the car. You have not really given much information to go on either. What are your plans for it? Resto? Driver? Gonna flip it? What is your attraction to it? These cars are 49 years old and need to be thoroughly looked at because there's so much hidden stuff that needs fixing. Give me more info and I can give you my take for what ever that's worth.

Personally, and I'm may get nailed here....... I have always felt that the matching numbers (except in a very few cases like First-Gen Rivs) is juvenile mythology. The Corvette guys started it in the 70's and as far as I'm concerned it sucked the fun out of it for me. I have a 65 Riv GS I purchased in 1976. The original motor clunked out (as most 425's did early on) and I put in a low mileage used engine. I enjoyed that car for a long time. Mitch

So I went out to see the beast...Heres what I found out.. it has the correct trans and rear end badging bla bla bla, The motor is a MW but it has the dual carbs and all the correct ancillary bits including fined valve covers. The car was sitting for quite a while (over 10 years) in the west coast sun and would need quite literally everything rubber or fabric to be replaced. Every seal, Rebulid the carbs, brakes, who knows whats in the fuel lines...everything. I think its way to much of a project for my tastes and going to look for something else.. but thanks for the info. I think that if I was looking to restore it (sink serious cash into it) and sell it or turn it into a show car it would be a great base to work off of but I just don't have the time now a days for that kinda commitment..

With an MW ('66 425) engine, it's value has probably already taken a mild hit for resale purposes if you were to go for a high end restoration then try to flip it. Tom Mooney and some others have made some good points on another thread about values of cars that are not numbers matching. Worth reading.

If you go on Hagerty's website www.hagerty.com you can click on Valuation and under car values, click on Value Your Car. Fill in the info on your car and it will bring up a graph of the value. I am not saying this is correct but it will give you an idea the potential value of your car. I used this as a guide when I increased the value of my car with them.

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1
If you go on Hagerty's website www.hagerty.com you can click on Valuation and under car values, click on Value Your Car. Fill in the info on your car and it will bring up a graph of the value. I am not saying this is correct but it will give you an idea the potential value of your car. I used this as a guide when I increased the value of my car with them.

I agree!

An excellent tool, and the graph illustrating the movement over time is superb!

I use it so often they asked me to register.

That said, the difficult part is always objectively placing the car in the appropriate category for its condition.

Seems like every owner selling considers their car to be showroom perfect, and asks for that kind of money, while everyone buying seems to put each particular car much further down in the condition scale, and offers silly money.

I am guilty of having done both myself, so I understand the deal.

Funny thing is when it actually is a fully 100% perfect car, very few folks will even consider paying for that level of perfection.

The trick is always finding one of those that will.

They are out there!

Guest DRM500RUBYZR1

As far as matching numbers go.

Having spent many years in the collector car hobby, I have observed the following and know it to be true.

Matching numbers are meaningless to those that do not have them.

To those that have matching numbers,it is the most important thing in the entire universe.

Imagine that.

One final thought.

Everyone can say that their car has matching numbers.

Their numbers match some car somewhere, dead or alive, and often times they match many different cars.

Again, at different times in my life, with different cars, I have been guilty of both!

A well preserved low mile original just somehow always trumps the perfect restoration, for me, although I do so enjoy seeing a perfect body off complete nut and bolt restoration to perfection.

Guess that is why life is so much fun!