HPOF question

tcslr

I am thinking I would like to try showing. I am a driver guy. love the beauties but driving a magnificent ride with the left elbow cocked on the windown sill - hard to beat.

The car had it's roofing material changed in 1967 - it looks great but it is not original. The interior was changed at the same time - the story is that it was in terible condition. Last year, I changed the wiring harness - thinking the 83 year old wiring might short causing fire/problems. Instillhave it and examining it, it was fine. Alledgedly, the cowl was reported to hvave been painted - but I sure can't tell that. I replaced a replacement interior mat with a new one last year. Also the radiator hose. The radiator was recored 1967?? new exhaust in 1995 - replacing the 1967 exhaust. It has a Carter BB1 replacing what would have been a Stromberg. It has an electric fuel pump but the vacuum system is remaining.

Is this qualify for HPOF?

How does one tell?

TIA, Tom

tcslr,

It is very difficult to give you perfect advice based on your verbal description of the car's condition. My opinion might be swayed by if the top and interior were replaced with NOS materials, or if they were replaced with a non-authentic material. You could give it a try and see what happens. Cars of that era get a little bit more leeway than a later era car. You might want to contact the HPOF Committee chairman and ask for his advice.

I have an HPOF Original 1984 Buick Riviera. I also recently purchased a 1954 Buick Special. The Special has had a total repaint many years ago, the seats have been recovered and the original floor covering is gone. I intend to put that car in DPC.

Roger Irland is the Chairman of the HPOF Committee. If you want to reach him by a PM on the forum his forum user name is RogerPHX.

I agree, come on out an enjoy the show. The HPOF certification would be nice, but your car sounds like fun and represets the way they were back then. Eight three years old (1930) is way more dificult for everyting to be original than a 1984 (Not even 30 years old yet).

Remember you get to list what's not original. You will find that not everyone knows or admits everything that isn't.

Again awards and trophies can turn off lots of participants if they become the sole reason to participate. Go and enjoy

the show and the rest of that class. I bet some of your favorites, don't get certified, but it's still fun to see them and hear their stories. I may even do it again with one of my rejected HPOF cars, just for the fun of showing that 83 year olds still have something to offer. Not perfect but still running and still fun. I bet their al lots of 83 year old ladies that won't admit to a little cosmetic's either. And, if the husband is showing her off, he may not know it either.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added thought (see edit history)