1936 Century versus Special

scott12180

Hey guys --- Newby question here:

When you are looking at a 1936 Buick, how can you tell if the car is a Century or a Special without measuring the wheelbase or length of the engine or other numerical stuff.

The car doesn't actually say "Century" on it anywhere like the later ones, does it?

If not, are there little things you can look for to tell you which model it is?

Thanks -- Scott

Wheels/Tyres - 15" on Century v's 16" on Special

Headlights on Century are larger and run stainless trim on top, Special doesn't.

Air cleaner on Century is tubular and runs horizontally from carb to front of motor from a 90 degree air horn on carby, Special has oil bath air cleaner sitting on top of carb.

All suspension/chassis etc is noticably larger on Century.

Century runs 120MPH Speedo while MOST Specials run a 100MPH Speedo.

These are the most obvious differences, the easiest being wheels,headlights and air cleaner.

Actually the air cleaner on my model 41 special runs as described for Century. My understanding is that it was option and the air cleaner is heavy duty, dustier climate. I have seen that air cleaner on several specials. I could be wrong as I once tought my heater was origianl to 36 until looking at sales literature. Don't recall where I read that air cleaner was option but know that is what I think. Just my 2 cents.

Rod

Seems like there was discussion of this in an earlier thread that said the distance between the front fender and the front door was a couple of inches more on the Century to accommodate the longer engine. Don't know if that applied in '36, but there was a photo showing the difference on the '39s.

This question brings back memories of when I got my '38. When I found it, it had no Century badges.

I immediately looked at the engine and the first give away was manifolds.

It had a 3 piece exhaust manifold and the carby had a 4 bolt flange to the manifold.

There was also the position of the oil ventilation screen on the left hand side of the block.

The special is at the rear of the block by the bellhousing and the Century is toward the front near the generator.

That was enough to convince me of what I had.

Danny