55 to 56 Intake interchange?

58Edsel

Hello,

I have a guy with a 56 Buick looking to put a 4 barrel intake on his car. I have a 55 Special I am parting with a 4 barrel intake and would like to know if it will fit his 56? My Hollander book is not real cut & dry on the interchanges and list it between certian motor numbers which I do not have available at this time. Any help would be great, thanks! E-mail would be best way to reach me for quick replies.

Carl E.

carlbige@comcast.net

Carl, firstly, I am surprised that your 55 Special has a 4 bbl intake as typically the Specials had 2 bbl's. So you may first want to determine what intake you actually have on that '55. If you can get the casting number off it and post here we can determine that. Secondly, the intake manifolds used in late 55 and all '56 production are different than those of 54 and early 55 in that they have a groove for heat passage located under the base of the carburetor. Other than that the bolt pattern and everything else is the same. I don't think there would a problem with using a 55 intake on a 56. In fact I have often wondered if perhaps that heat passage may even contribute to a hotter carb in the summer months thereby causing a vapor lock.

Here is a 56 intake, notice the groove.

jrke.jpg

9bdw.jpg

and here is a 54/early 55 intake (sold this one on eBay)

sfqy.jpg

z6cg.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Carl, firstly, I am surprised that your 55 Special has a 4 bbl intake as typically the Specials had 2 bbl's. So you may first want to determine what intake you actually have on that '55. If you can get the casting number off it and post here we can determine that. Secondly, the intake manifolds used in late 55 and all '56 production are different than those of 54 and early 55 in that they have a groove for heat passage located under the base of the carburetor. Other than that the bolt pattern and everything else is the same. I don't think there would a problem with using a 55 intake on a 56. In fact I have often wondered if perhaps that heat passage may even contribute to a hotter carb in the summer months thereby causing a vapor lock.

Here is a 56 intake, notice the groove.

jrke.jpg

9bdw.jpg

and here is a 54/early 55 intake (sold this one on eBay)

sfqy.jpg

z6cg.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I think it has the groove in front of the ports like the dirty one in your pictures? I pulled the carb for a guy last week and will be a month before I get back to the car as it is in a friends yard 62 miles from me. I will get the numbers off the top of it if they are what you need to better ID it? Who knows what may have been done to it in it's 50 plus years? I know my Hollander book only really mentioned a 2 barrel carb and casting numbers. If you think it will fit no problem I will see if I can make the deal happen? If I can't I will get the numbers any way and we can see what we have? Thanks again!

Carl E.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reply! I think it has the groove in front of the ports like the dirty one in your pictures? I pulled the carb for a guy last week and will be a month before I get back to the car as it is in a friends yard 62 miles from me. I will get the numbers off the top of it if they are what you need to better ID it? Who knows what may have been done to it in it's 50 plus years? I know my Hollander book only really mentioned a 2 barrel carb and casting numbers. If you think it will fit no problem I will see if I can make the deal happen? If I can't I will get the numbers any way and we can see what we have? Thanks again!

Carl E.

Hello,

I pulled that intake today and the numbers cast in the front of it are 1165384 do these shed any light on what I have? Thanks for your input!

Merry Christmas

Carl E.

That is a 55 322 4bbl intake number. I don't think it would have the groove.

I think your right about the groove. The carb gasket is still on it and I did not lift it off to look as I forgot. I have it packed now to ship. So is it a rare item as you mentioned most were 2 barrels?

Carl E.

I wouldn't necessarily say rare, yet, but are getting a little hard to find and demanding pretty good prices when found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161150008337?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Thanks Mr. Earl for you time & input on this! I looked at the E-Bay listing and that's getting up there with the cost of shipping added. I made the deal for just a little under the selling price of that one so I guess I did ok and saved it from the crusher!

Merry Christmas

Carl E.