55 buick battery??

Guest 38buick55special

Guest 38buick55special

I am looking to put a battery in my 55 buick special the only problem is the battery the car came to me with is gone. What is the correct group size for this vehicle. I am looking into a diehard battery.

Your car came with a group 60 battery. Google antique auto battery for choice. This is the size reproduction that you need if the car is to be judged they are pricey ($$$$$$). There may be some Optima-like conversions that will not slobber all over a fresh restoration.

An replacement available locally is a group 31. This is a bus/tractor battery that will fit neatly in the battery tray and the stock hold-down will work (you may have to get longer carriage bolts). It has more than enough power, but is very heavy at ~75#.

Willie

If originality doesn't matter, many will fit. Measure and compare. I put an Everstart Maxx 34S from WalMart in mine. It is just a little shorter but works fine. You will save about $20.00 at WalMart over local parts store prices and get a better warranty.

As Willie noted, they will gas and slobber a little, you will need to wipe down with a damp rag and baking soda occassionally.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Guest 38buick55special

Thanks everyone for your responses. Unfortunately my 55 is in no way a showcase car (it's barely a driver) but I am working on it. It's good to know about the era correct battery, but the local Walmart will do for now.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Unfortunately my 55 is in no way a showcase car (it's barely a driver) but I am working on it. It's good to know about the era correct battery, but the local Walmart will do for now.

Not a thing wrong with being "just" a driver. Enjoy it.

Ben

Edited by First Born
added "wrong" (see edit history)

Guest 38buick55special

Got the battery car fired right over, unbelievable.....now onto the brake issues. Thanks everyone for all your responses and assistance.

I had a reproduction "Delco" group 60. It wouldn't crank the car with out a boost when it was new. I threw it in the junk pile and got a NAPA group 27. It is within 1/2" in width, height Nd length, so it fits in the battery tray and top bracket.

The group 27 fired up the nailhead yesterday without effort after sitting for two weeks.

A group 31 is a better fit and provide even more amps than the 27