Committed; I am or should be.

60FlatTop

Working from the top down, I ordered a new LOF windshield today. It should be here in a week. Over the winter I plan to remove the vinyl top that has been on my car since the 1970's, repaint most of the car, rechrome all the front bumper parts, and redo the interior. That should get it in shape so I don't have to do much except polish it in my old age. I made the commitment today. No turning back now.

I changed the color to Claret Mist Metallic in 1980. I really don't like brown cars. So it going to be maroon for the next 30-35 years.

Here's the start:

post-46237-143142244636_thumb.jpg

Bernie

post-46237-143142244632_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update. My windshield has always been a little rough driving into the sun; hazy, scratched, just not crystal clear. So I decided on a new one since I am working on the roof and will have both front and rear out to do the job right. I bought a replacement from Prosource Glass www.prosourceglassintl.com. The price was right, Richard is a great vendor, and I'm happy (now that takes a lot!)

It will be a few months but it is waiting safely:

post-46237-143142257451_thumb.jpg

And I asked my daughter to bring that home from Boston in her Honda Civic!

Bernie

post-46237-143142257446_thumb.jpg

Good luck Bernie. I plan on ordering a windshield from Richard as well. Didn't realize the crate was that large. I need more space. :eek:

BTW, is this the same Riv that you restored some years ago that I see pics from time to time with it off the frame?

Prosource Glass was really good about shipping and making sure I got just what I wanted they had it (probably the wrong term for a windshield) drop shipped to me. The crate was a surprise to me too.

Yes, that is the car I bought when I was 29 in the spring of 1978. The paint that is on the car is 8 coats of lacquer a friend of mine applied in 1980. It is Claret Mist Metallic and never seemed red enough for me. When I paint the top I think I am going for Milano Maroon Firemist and do the whole car one last time. I should get 30 years out of it.

It was around 1994 that I took the car to a local show and thought the engine compartment was a little shabby. I started cleaning black spray paint off the wire ends and in about 4 days the body was off the frame. That's one reason I keep warning about tearing stuff apart.

On the list on this refurb is- removal of the vinyl top,new windshield, painting at some level, interior redo, rechrome all the front bumper parts, and trunk detailing.

Thinking about it, I really don't have sentimental attachment to it. I just own it because it is one of the cars I always wanted. The '64 Riviera and the 1948 Roadmaster convertible are the top favorites from High School days.

Bernie

I'm not sure about syndromes, probably not. I was raised in a matriarchal family with Grandma O'Brien in charge. During my life she had a 1949 black Roadmaster Sednette, a black 1954 Roadmaster sedan, a black 1962 Invicta sedan, and a 1968 Wildcat 2 dr. Her 8 sons in law strove to own a Buick to gain favor. We were fairly high on the list. She came down to take my mother to get groceries every week and had dinner with us on Saturdays.

So the desire for me to have an iconic Buick is as natural as Prince Phillip to want a Jaguar. Or like Brian Boru going into battle with his sword and crucifix.

And that's just the O'Brien side.

Bernie