Hello from a newbie

Guest Flivver250

Guest Flivver250

Thank you AACA for accepting my request for membership. I am a life long old car enthusiast. My first car was a 56 Sedan De Ville, second a 62 Studabaker Lark. Since then, a 53 Pontiac and a 67 Olds. Love the old Detroit iron. I work overseas and only get home once a year, but I have a fully equipped shop that is begging for a project. I am seriously looking a 1946 Super 8 50 series. This gem has been lovingly attended for decades by a now deceased owner. It needs a new caretaker and appears to be cherry and original. I have only been dealing electronically, proof will be in the seeing. But none the less I have set my target on an old Buick straight 8. My father had a 39 he never stopped ranting about so it is my turn. I plan on ripping the engine out, placing a 455 in there with a Ford 9 inch rear end and some rims with spinners. Giant woofers and thumping bass amplifiers. Just kidding. The goal is to maintain originality which it supposedly is and just keep it tip top mechanically. I have no doubt I will turn to you folks for your accumulated wisdom and Buick lore.

post-97144-143142244009_thumb.jpg

It's a shame that another great car will have a ridiculous amount of money spent on it just to destroy anything interesting or special (pardon the pun) that it has to offer. You will find little interest or advice here in destroying a piece of history. If you want a fast car with a loud stereo, buy a fast car with a loud stereo. If you want a fabulous original car, buy a fabulous original car. If you need help and advice converting a car to a loud fast car, you will find less than enthusiasm from the members here. I would implore that you try enjoying the car as it is. It is far less expensive and far more rewarding than a conversion and when you are done it's value will remain far higher than if you spent thousands on a conversion. Good luck whatever your choice.

Guest Flivver250

sambarn, sorry you missed my tongue in cheek humor. You probably stopped reading in horror by the time you got to woofers. Cars are only original once, I will try to keep it that way. This one has been in storage since 1985 and the family just had a valve job and brake job done to put it on the road. It is back in storage now waiting for me. I won't get to see it until I see it next summer.

Guest billybird

Welcome to AACA and the forum. This is a great club with great people, great cars and great advice. As I read your post, I was thinking " this guy don't know he's joined the wrong club". Then when I caught the "just kidding" line I breathed a sigh of relief and was comforted. Best wishes with the Buick and again; welcome!

One can never be too sure passing judgement with only a photo to work with, but in my estimation I'd be very surprised if it's not original. There should be other signs around the vehicle that indicate whether or not it's been touched. From a distance it looks like a terrific original. How many miles on it?

Edited by drwatson
add ? (see edit history)

Guest Flivver250

I have not seen it yet, and the elderly man that inherited it from the elderly owner did not know the mileage. He is not an enthusiast and wanted it running well and sold. It was in storage since 1985 and apparently stored correctly. The son in law had a shop do a valve job and service the brakes. I am having my wife pick it up for me. (I told her I'd take her on dates if I had a classic) I have been without a classic for 20 years so it is time leap back in. Here is an under the hood picture I assume after the valve job. I'd of rather they hadn't painted the engine, but that is now part of it's history and my cross to bear. I suppose I can put it right. I will start from scratch before I roll it down the road and go through it soup to nuts mechanically. While I am told it is tip top, the man who knew best is not talking so I will have to trust my own eyes. That is all part of the fun.

post-97144-143142245439_thumb.jpg