I'm on the hunt for a '50 fastback...

Guest Jack Stacey

Guest Jack Stacey

And so far my search has turned up nothing. I've been looking all summer for a 1950 fastback, either a 2 or 4 door. For some reason, they're proving to be pretty elusive near me in Upstate/Central NY. I'm finally in a position now where getting a car is not out of the question. Maybe this is better off in the Buy/Sell category, but I was curious if anybody has a 2 or 4 door fastback in or near Binghamton, NY that they'd let go for around 3 grand. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to run and not have too much cancerous rust. Of course I don't discriminate. If there's a 50 Buick coupe or sedan, I'd be interested in that as well. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm just trying to get a feel as to what's out there. Maybe my next step should be contacting a local Buick club.

Jack The 2 door fastbacks are very rare as you are finding out and thaft $3000 figure puts you in a tough spot. There are always a few Special 2 door fastbacks (or at least 3 hole Sedanettes) offered on ebay and various craigs lists, but they are usually rough projects in the $1000 to $2500 range, and probably not worth $2500. I see very few nice ones, but those owners, having purchased them for 5 figures or restored them for 5 figures are not going to let them go. Chrome, interiors, engine work all cost several thousand alone. Then to add geographic restrictions, especially to a rust belt state, means you are better off as Robert suggested, just getting a 1950 4 door sedan. These are fairly plentiful. I am going to look at one this weekend for $1000 obo that runs, has floor rust and needs a gas tank. I can probably get it for $750. It's Super with Dynaflow. The other option is to join the BCA and place a WANTED ad in the Bugle magazine, and run it for 3 months. There are a lot of BCA members that are never on this forum and for which the Bugle is their main reason for BCA membership. Otherwise, you might consider continuing to save, but that "betweener" $3000 figure puts you just past a tough non running project and a ways away from a nice driver. I doubt, and I can certainly be wrong, there are many $6000 drivers in 1950 Sedanettes. Good luck on the search.

Guest Rob McDonald

JACK, my advice is Be Patient. GM's fastback styling is superb, we all agree. Although rare, the 4-door Jetback Sedans are just as cool as the 2-door Jetback Sedanets. They may be considerably cheaper too, just because of the hobby-wide bias against back doors. Because severely limited rear vision is what's got you excited, I don't think you'll ever be truly happy with a notchback car. A hardtop might hold your interest but you'd be paying a premium for one, while it's still not what you really want.

That Tourback sedan that Robert linked us to does look like a bargain for a complete car, which even includes some uninstalled new chrome. Maybe you'd be smart to pick it up and make it drivable to enjoy, while remaining on the hunt for a Sloper (to use the Australian term). More likely though, it'd be a money pit that will never allow you a second hobby car. Better to wait for the right car, in my grey-haired opinion.

The fastbacks are quickly scooped up by the hot rodder segment of the old car hobby. Finding one on common internet searches is near impossible. Finding one that has not been modified is even harder. Finding one in your price range that runs and has little rust will be priceless. But I do wish you good luck.

I keep an eye on these and would suggest any drivable 1950 Jetback Coupe ( as Buick officially referred to 1950 and 1951 2 door Sedanettes ) would not be purchased for less than $10,000. As already suggested these are desirable body styles for customisers and they had relatively low production numbers. If restoring one expect to mortgage the family home to pay for the chroming!!

This is what you can get for $500

http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1950-buick-parts-car-357272.html

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Hey, I like back doors. Just sayin' what the market demands...

JACK, here's a lovely original Jetback sedanet that's unfortunately already sold - 1950 Buick Super Deluxe Jetback Coupe $12,500. While the asking price was way beyond your budget, it would probably be a stellar example of "pay it now or pay it later". We all know that bringing a shabby car up to this quality would cost far more than $10G. However, there are good reasons - such as marital harmony - for starting with a low admission fee and quietly piling on the dollars over time.

Fear not, a good fastback will cross your path. Just give it time.

Here's a beauty-in-the-rough from out Texas way, a year ago - http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1950-buick-special-4d-jetback-sedan-333330.html. Might still be there. Price is probably right, although completeness is questionable and it's a long, long way out of your geographic range.

post-59990-143142167436_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143142167438_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
hope springs eternal (see edit history)

I keep an eye on these and would suggest any drivable 1950 Jetback Coupe ( as Buick officially referred to 1950 and 1951 2 door Sedanettes ) would not be purchased for less than $10,000. As already suggested these are desirable body styles for customisers and they had relatively low production numbers. If restoring one expect to mortgage the family home to pay for the chroming!!

This is what you can get for $500

http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1950-buick-parts-car-357272.html

Kind of looks like the husks from a wholly mammoth. Stuart and others are correct. Go higher, much higher or go lower but I just don't see one out there for $3000. People either do 'em or hesitate and that hesitation results in the $500 car staying a $500 car.

Guest Jack Stacey

I saw a fastback '50 Buick Special model 43, on craigslist for sale for $2000 in PA. I wish I had saved that guys number, because that was a cool car. I just didn't have the wherewithal at the time to buy it.

Good luck in the search. I hadn't restricted the year, but was interested in a sedanette...the '41 became available locally and I was able to get it for a good price. Having three children (now teenagers and one of them taller than me), four doors are certainly convenient.

Here's some information on production numbers for 1950. 1950 Buick Models, Roadmaster, Super, Special In the Special line, they are more plentiful, but for Super and Roadmaster, they weren't particularly common in the first place.

Good luck with your search. As others have noted, with the criteria you've given, it may be difficult. You may want to sit down with pen, paper, and your favourite vice and write out what you want in a car and why. List pros and cons of the various factors. That may solidify your desires, in which case, you may need to be patient and diligent in your search, or it may get you to consider a broadening of the search criteria to include other body styles or years.

One thing I can say from experience (and I believe others will generally agree) is that repairing / refurbishing costs more than finished cars, so you want to purchase the best car you can get. Now, if that completely drains the account and you need to build up the Buick fund again before doing anything with the car, you may need to accept that you will have to get used to looking at (and enjoying) a car that sits patiently waiting for you.

Again, good luck.

Guest Rob McDonald

Our Winnipeg friend got my curiosity up and I checked the Buick bible - Standard Catalog of Buick 1903-2004 - Google Books

4-door Jetback sedans came only in the Special series, which I figured because the body was shared with Pontiac and Oldsmobile (maybe Chev too?). There were lots built - 58,700 model 43s and 14,335 model 43Ds, which is the Deluxe model with nicer interiors, more chrome. Using the rule of thumb that about 1% of most models survive fifty years or more, there ought to be 630 of these beauties still around. They can't all be rodded and they are not rare enough to command stupid prices every time they show up for sale. Enjoy the search and please don't settle for less.

By the way, page 73 of the Standard Catalog of Buick has a lovely photo of a '50 Super Estate Wagon, in some exotic locale, probably the Mediterranean. The authors made no mention of the couple standing with the car: the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, he being the former King Edward VIII of England.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

JACK, I don't know if you're most interested in a fastback or in a '50 Buick - or does it gotta be both. If the body style is what's got you going, there's a mighty interesting '41 Special Sedanet in the Omaha NE vicinity, asking price just $1400. Check it out - http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1941-buick-sedanette-1400-missouri-357708.html. Even with shipping, it might be within your budget.

RETRACT - DISREGARD - CANCEL

Hey, I'm the guy that told you to be patient, that the right car would come along, just be patient. This is NOT THE RIGHT CAR for you. Keep looking. Someone else has got to go check out this dusty beauty, though.

Edited by Rob McDonald
second thoughts (see edit history)