turn signal flasher location

heygibb

I've read some of the other threads re turn signal issues but not my exact problem. Last week, my signals stopped flashing. After inspecting the front and rear turn lights, while on, the right front cornering bulb was out. I replaced it, thinking that was it, but I still have no working turn signals. The green indicator arrows on the cluster for left and right illuminate when the lever is put in the left or right turn position. I can mechanically make the signals work, so I am not w./out that capability.

I exchanged the relays under the hood in the relay center, but no change. I guess there is a flasher somewhere in the harness. Am I right? I haven't seen it in the console fuse areas. When I engage the emergency flashers, all four corners do flash.

I did find on page 14 of the digital user manual, pdf 8A, the layout of a LH and RH turn signal relay position. I can't find that relay center in the car.

post-31083-143142150371_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions on where it is? Am I looking in the right area?

Thanks

Tim

Guest Mc_Reatta

The micro relay center is in the trunk on the side by the passenger's wheel well under the carpeting.

But I think what you need is the flasher module under the dash in the drivers foot well.

Guest Kingsley

Tim - sorry to be late with this but in my '90 the flashers are indeed round. Having said this, I have worked on other vehicles with flashers in other configurations but I am sure mine are OE and round. I have to say that there is a whole new world that opens up when one takes a good look, while lying on their back, at the underside of the dash on either side of the console. It also takes fingers with more than the allotted number of joints to test most of the connectors.

Kingsley

Member BCA and Reatta Division

Reatta Specialty Parts. Two models of headlight motor repair kits, sun visor clips and EZ On replacement tops for the convertibles.

Thanks Kingsley. lol It sounds like I need one of those double offset triple jointed pair of pliers and I can't ever seem to find anywhere. I'll do my best. I do have small fingers so that will have to do. Thanks for the followup.

Guest Richard D

On my 90 it is located in a spring holder right on top of the steering column. Have band-aids handy, it can be stuborn to get to. I also recommened that you replace it with an electronic type. They flash at a constant rate.

On my 90 it is located in a spring holder right on top of the steering column. Have band-aids handy, it can be stuborn to get to. I also recommened that you replace it with an electronic type. They flash at a constant rate.

There are two "canisters" attached to the bracing of the dash near the steering column with spring clips. Do I replace both? If not, which one is the flasher unit, if you recall. It is a bear to reach. I'm thinking I'll slide the clip off the frame to remove it and then slide it back on the car frame. Is that how you do it? I'll take that advice on the replacement unit.

There are two "canisters" attached to the bracing of the dash near the steering column with spring clips. Do I replace both? If not, which one is the flasher unit, if you recall. It is a bear to reach. I'm thinking I'll slide the clip off the frame to remove it and then slide it back on the car frame. Is that how you do it? I'll take that advice on the replacement unit.

One is for turn signals one is for hazards. Just turn your directionals on and you will be able to feel one of them clicking.,

One is for turn signals one is for hazards. Just turn your directionals on and you will be able to feel one of them clicking.,

Thanks Marck

Common sense wins the day. I didn't think of that.

I ended up using the higher quality replacement unit and just left it hanging. It didn't seem worth it to re-attach the holder to the frame in such tight quarters. It's tucked in there pretty good so I don't expect any rattling.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's always good doing something myself vs. paying someone else, if at all possible.

Edited by heygibb (see edit history)

• 8 years later...

The same flasher is used for both sides so if one side works then it is not the flasher. 

First check the relay in the underhood relay box.  there is a relay for the right and left.

by switching the relays you can eliminate the possibility that one is bad..... the bad relay will now cause the problem on the other side. 

The other possibility is one or more bad bulbs..... there needs to be a specific amount of resistance for the flasher to work. 

If one or more bulbs are dead,  you will not have enough resistance to make the flasher work