Dip Stick for your 12 without R/R pan

peecher

A fairly easy way to equip a V12 with a dip stick without removing the pan or anything except the drain plug is to utilize the drain plug. An aftermarket 24" universal dip stick and tube ($15 JEGS) and a 1/4" M/F close brass pipe elbow. The after market dip stick comes with a fitting to secure to the elbow. The drain plug has to be drilled and tapped (1/4" pipe) to accept the elbow. The dip stick tube needs to be bent slightly to clear the starter and come up to the right front of the engine clearing the exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold. They supply a brace with the tube and it can attach to one of the exhaust manifold bolts. The 3/8" dip stick tube attaches to the supplied fitting with a nut and ferrule. To drain oil all you need to do is remove the tube from the fitting. When installing all this you first tighten the drain plug then screw in the elbow to the right angle. Bend the dip stick tube a little, about 6" from the end to bring it up along side the exhaust manifold so that you can attach the brace. I just finished making one of these set ups to install on my '48 with the modified engine. I think a bit of Loctite on the pipe threads between the elbow and drain plug would be a good idea after the "angle" is set. After installation you can add 4 quarts of oil, mark the dip stick and then add the 5th quart and mark the dip stick. The marks will be further up the stick( than the original marks supplied) and you may want to trim off some of the excess below the 4 quart mark. I've taken pictures of this set up but I'm not sure I can get them posted.

Edited by peecher
additional (see edit history)

Sooooooo, The hydraulic effect allows oil to rise in the stick to the point of the fill in the pan, then the stick lowers to that point...

I have had pretty good luck with the bobber in the pan..but ..D'ohhh I forgot to put it in when replacing the pump and inspecting

crank in Mr Zeffer's 38 Flagship..this is a clever idea.. I usually open plug on filter cannister to chk oil condition and look for

evil juices that may have entered my world (leaky headgasket). I was amazed to find coolant come out of this port one time...not

creamy oil, but nice clean coolant...I use full synthetic and am under the impression that it is more resistant to blending than mineral

oil?? ( not to hijack this thread) I have been using full syn in all systems, changing rarely..but looking closely at what comes out..so far so good!

• 7 years later...

I was thinking about installing a oil dip stick and came upon this post. I was wondering were the 24" aftermarket universal dip stick can be ordered from.

Gerry

That system may work OK for some, but all I can think of is the mess that will occur when you remove the dipstick tube from the drain plug. The fitting that is left on the drain plug will direct the oil to the passenger side of the car instead of  letting the oil drain directly below the plug or slightly to the rear of the car.

The bobber system should work well if installed correctly and changing the oil regularly will allow you to monitor the condition of the oil.

Tom O.D

I had just decided to try and turn the engine over and when I did there was a sound coming from some were.  I did it three tines and after that I walked around to see if anything was loose and maybe something  being hit by the fan. I then found the  oil float rod was leaning to one side. This led me to believe that some how it got hit by the crank as it was turning. I was thinking if I have to remove the pan for further inspections I will not be reinstalling this float..

I am going to either try this option listed above or maybe install a dip stick welded on the side of the pan.

Let you know what happens

Gerry

I have no idea of where to install a dipstick on the pan of a V-12, but I think that I would start with the boss and tube for a V-8. They are available from most suppliers of Ford parts. The area where the bobber lives, might be a good place to start.

I still believe that the bobber is the best solution for the V-12.

These are some pics of the '39 L.Z Coupe I'm building. The dipstick tube is early Ford v8 and Chevy six pan breather also full flow oil filter. All these were done with engine out. The angle of dipstick had to be changed to fit with exhaust and steering column. When full of oil it's pretty close to the right level.

dip 2.jpeg

IMG_0615 2.jpeg