Help with vehicle identification; Stutz?

Guest mmuil

Guest mmuil

I was told by Owl's Head Transportation Museum that the auto in this photo might be a Stutz. Can anyone verify that and possibly give me a year? Thanks!!

post-95686-143142132623_thumb.jpg

Guest mmuil

Thanks Keiser31, Grandpa, and nzcarnerd! I know nothing about classic cars and find this fascinating. Maybe it is a bit more of a difficult task than anticipated. My car in questions certainly looks like the pics of Mercers on the web - but some details are different: windscreen, hubs, radiator cap, hood louvers (as mentioned). Might some of these have been modified or replaced? Or were there small manufacturers that might have assembled vehicles using a variety of parts? Thanks again for your input.

Perhaps it is around a 1922 duPont? I was sorta going by this hubcap (similar to the ones on the car in question) and then I found this car. The little bump out on the rear of the hood is there....

The second duPont is a 1924....

post-37352-143142133632_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142133635_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142133676_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

A DuPont it seems to be. Now here's a question for MMUIL - where did you find the photo and who's the babe at the wheel?

The attached picture of the DuPont could be the same car shown by keiser31 in Post #8, above. Note that the hood of the DuPont has a different side panel hinge design that the car to ID. Also, the DuPont pictured has an access door in the apron to service the front rear spring bushing. If the car to be identified is a DuPont, it could be about the first year of production, 1919.

post-52807-143142134243_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know who the babe is; wish I did! I got the photo at an auction with a few other "transportation" photos. Don't know where it came from; possibly somewhere in Massachusetts. Appreciate your input!

Your guys are all great!! Thanks! It's gone from a photo of a unknown woman in an unknown car to an unknown woman in an early 1920's Du Pont. Wasn't sure I could ever get an ID on the car and I'm sure I'll never get the woman ID'ed; so I consider this a great outcome.