Studebaker Light Six King Pins and Bushings

Hi,

I wanted to inquire as to what others have done about worn king pins and bushings on a Light Six Studebaker. I've never had a vehicle with king pins prior to owning my 1924 EM, so I have no experience on repairs or replacement of these parts. With the wheels off, I can measure a good amount of movement in the pins and believe they're shot. I'd be greatful for advice on how to obtain replacement parts, or if parts from other cars are interchangeable. The rest of the steering components are badly worn as well, and the car shakes pretty badly when traveling above 35 mph. If someone knows what parts I can use, or can give advice on making/obtaining new ones, I'd appreciate your reply.

Thank you,

Dave

Since no one else has jumped in here I will post at least one small reply. With my light six I am in the process of rebuilding the front end. This seems to be a common wear point because the lower tin cup that holds in the oil is held with a single bolt through the bottom of the king pin. The bolts tend to loosen up or fall out altogether and then the oil is not retained in the king pins. Studebaker changed the design in later cars to use something like a freeze plug that couldn't fall out. McMaster Carr has a large selection of bushings. The king pins themselves can be built up and turned if necessary. I don't know of any place that has new king pins for the light six.

Thanks for your reply and the reference to the McMastar Carr bushings. I didn't want to jump in until I had researched this bit. I'll see how worn the king pins are worn when I pull them and will check with local club members to see about building them up and turning them. I watched an online video last night on replacing king pins and it doesn't look that difficult, so will hope for the best when I start this project.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Dave

STUDEBAKER PARTS AND SERVICES Dave Thibault 13 Nick Lane Maynard Maine 01754 (978) 897-3158. Even if you don't use him call and request a pamphlet on his available services.

Dave is a good place to check for parts. He's found several things for my '22 Special Six.

I spoke to Dave a while back about new kingpins and bushings for my Light Six. He didn't have anything in stock but said he would be happy to machine some up if I provided him some old ones to use as a template. I have since removed mine and found that I just need new lower bushings made up so if you need some decent kingpins to use as a guide I can loan mine out. Let me know.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com