Drill '25 Radiator Cap Sacrilege?

buy a dogbone cap and take it off when leaving the car. Use the original cap while parked.

Sounds like a good idea but do these cooling systems build up pressure? It's not fun getting scalded when removing a radiator cap from a hot radiator.

tony-waltham-geyser-yellowstone-national-park-unesco-world-heritage-site-wyoming-usa.jpg

It's atmospherically vented......no pressure.

My '25 hasn't heated at all and I've driven it in some pretty hot conditions this Summer.

I removed the paint from the headlight bezels which spruced up the overall look of an otherwise plain car but a Motometer would be a nice, additional, touch........ :)

I can probably buy another Dodge cap cheaper than a repop AND a Motometer........

For one thing absolutely nobody specifies the thread size of the caps they sell.

I'm thinking I might as well talk to a stone to get some accurate information from the vendors unless any of you guys KNOW someone who is selling the proper cap....... :confused:

Never mind........so far I found a new repop.........@ $140....... :eek: ........I'll be drilling mine.......then again I COULD make one.......

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The old Morris Minor radiator cap I bought on ebay arrived today.......from England.

I had asked 3 sellers to please provide the most accurate measurements they could and they came back with "about 49.5mm inside the threads and about 5 threads in a 1/4"" which is so close to the tap size for 2" × 18tpi I took a chance as when those old Morris Minors were built England was still on the English system of measurements.

It's a slam dunk fit and is exactly what I wanted.

I already have dog bone caps on both of the T's and wanted something different on the Dodge.

I really like the "improvement"....... :D

(In the meantime I had found a repop dogbone from Meyers Early Dodge for $56.50)

post-93523-143142139031_thumb.jpg

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

The old Morris Minor radiator cap I bought on ebay arrived today.......from England.

I had asked 3 sellers to please provide the most accurate measurements they could and they came back with "about 49.5mm inside the threads and about 5 threads in a 1/4"" which is so close to the tap size for 2" × 18tpi I took a chance as when those old Morris Minors were built England was still on the English system of measurements.

It's a slam dunk fit and is exactly what I wanted.

I already have dog bone caps on both of the T's and wanted something different on the Dodge.

I really like the "improvement"....... :D

(In the meantime I had found a repop dogbone from Meyers Early Dodge for $56.50)

Now all you have to do is get the "DB" insert in the motometer and you'll be all set!