PCV Nightmare

MarkV

Well I decided to replace the original pcv valve on the Reatta 3800 and guess what? the grommet with the small hose's lip (that goes into the engine) broke off into the engine it was only a small half moon shaped piece (that goes into the socket not the entire grommet or hose) but I could not get to them Should I be worried? I ordered a new grommet and it will be here in the morning.

Wes,

Exactly which grommet broke off? (see photo)

The lower one, the one that looks like a doughnut?

Or the upper one with the "snorkle"?

If left in, the piece of the lower one ( the doughnut) will probably just bump around and wind up in the oil pan.

The upper one, now that's a problem. If not able to fish it out somehow, it's quite possible that it'll end up getting sucked into a cylinder. Not a good thing.

post-67519-143142113503_thumb.jpg

John F.

Harry,

What damage could it do...?

I don't know. I fear the unknown.

If it were me and the intake mfld. gasket had never been changed, I'd do as Padgett suggested and change it and get the grommet piece out in the process.

Wes may be a lucky kind of guy.

I'm not. In my almost 6 decades of being alive, I've found that all the luck I have is, well, not good. All I have is skill. I trust my skill more than luck.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

It is the top snorkel and it is only about half of the lip that hooks into the top part of the engine (not any of the external items you see in the pic. just part of the interior lip). It looks like another small piece had broken off of the grommet a long time ago in addition to the larger piece (half moon smaller than a dime) shape yesterday. I remembered after this happened that my Mark V had the same thing happen to it about 5 years and 20k miles ago. The mechanic told me that it was fine and would just burn up. It is really a poorly designed part. I am putting the new one in as we speak and boy that thing is hard to get in there!

Ok, I finally got it on after an hour of struggling! Everything is tight and back together. The car is idling much better. The only thing I could not get back on was the hose clamp. The pcv is barbed and the hose is on there tight. So, far so good. I am now taking it on a 10 mile test loop.