1930 Buick - Choke rod

michaelod

My 1930 Buick model 68 is missing the choke rod. If someone had a spare they would be willing to part with that would be great, but I am thinking I will probably need to make something. I assume it uses a steel rod. Does anyone have the correct diameter of the rod Buick used?

Thanks,

Yes, I believe it is supposed to be a rod. At present I have no way to choke my engine at all (with the exception of reaching into the engine compartment with both hands). From the pictures I have previously gathered the choke rod does look smaller in diameter than the heat control rod. Perhaps someone might know what is required here?

Thanks,

Guest buckfarmer

I can help with this, but it will be a week or more before I can take pictures and measurements. Leaving on a holiday in a couple hours. It is a rod and if my memory serves me, it is approximately half the diameter of the heat control. It also has a bend in it.

Neil

Great photos Neil..

Michael,

Your local parts stores should have a linkage you can use. If not, send me a PM and I will try to match it for you.

Mark,

Thanks for your offer. I will try to see what I can come up with and if unsuccessful will get back to you.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I made a new choke rod using Neil's dimensions. My brother turned a new linkage stud on his lathe for me and I now have an exact reproduction of the original rod that I installed over the weekend. Could not be more pleased with this item.

Thanks for the help everyone.