Rajo engine

Guest shelton

Guest shelton
Pictures and details....are you sure it is not Model T?

it is a T engine am going to take some pictures and send to you

I don't think there was a RAJO Model A head, but I, certainly, don't know everything. If it is a T setup, value would depend on many factors. Was the engine modified with full pressure, counterweighted crank, etc.? Which head? RAJO built a number of different setups. I think the BB-R is the hot setup. At any rate, any RAJO head is worth a fair amount. They don't come up for sale very often

Guest shelton

Thanks for your reply it is a t engine/alt added but have org gen/added photos on org post think I may put on ebay

Alternator/generator doesn't mean squat. The head alone is worth big bucks. The short block could be very valuable as well, if it has been highly modified. Does the auxiliary trans come with the deal? I would think that a full pressure, C crank, A rods, RAJO T engine with a Warford, Muncie, or whatever that box is, has to be worth 5-8 grand, maybe more. It's been a while since I've been into T stuff, so I could be way off.

What you have is a RAJO Model C-35 head which was, of course, made for Model T Fords. These were made during the mid to late 1920s. The name RAJO was taken from the first two letters of the town it was made in-RAcine, Wisconsin and the first two letters of the creators first name- JOe Jasberg (spelling?). The C-35 is considered the commercial head and is not the racing style head which would be a Model B or BB. By commercial, its original intention was for trucks and passenger cars. The Model B/BB heads have the intake and exhaust manifolds on different sides to allow for more efficient breathing, etc. The BB is drilled for twin spark (two spark plugs per cylinder). These heads were built for racing and higher performance engines and were built with much larger valves, higher compression ratios, etc. The Model C and C-35 heads have a one-piece intake and exhaust manifold as shown in your photos. It appears the manifold on your engine has been modified and now has a Model A carburetor. The correct period carburetor would have been something like a brass updraft Zenith, etc. The valve size on the C/C-35 heads is not much bigger than the stock Model T and the compression ratios are rather low. While your C-35 head is certainly desirable, it is not nearly as desirable as the Model B/BB heads. These Rajo heads are very prone to internal cracking-typically small cracks develop in between the valve seats or from the valve seats into the water jackets. Some of these heads were also excessively milled over the years in order to increase compression which weakened the structural integrity and caused cracking as well.

From what I can see from your photos of the bottom of the crankcase, the engine most likely has a stock Model T crankshaft. In order to adapt a Model A or larger crankshaft, a spacer is required in between the crank case and the removable bottom inspection plate/cover. Also, the crank case needs to be "dimpled" on the sides to clear the throws of the larger crank. I believe the auxillary transmission unit is an accessory Muncie from what I can see in the photos.

What does the rest of the car look like?

Also, since you have come to the AACA Forum for advice, why not list it here for sale instead of Ebay? Free advice and free listing fees-how can you go wrong?!?!?!?!?

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

The other common Rajo T-Ford head not mentioned here is the 4 valve type. There is a very large inlet vale in a domed chamber in the head, and the normal side exhaust valve is used. One external giveaway is the two separate rocker covers, and two generous inlet ports in the head. The basic concept of the more modern F-head combustion chamber with the inlet valve directly above the side exhaust valve and a flat "squish" area above most of the piston is obviously superior in all respects. Rolls Royce and Rover engines were this type into the 1960s. The twin spark BB Rajo is the most effective and desireable. Norm McCubbin in Melbourne had a T Ford speedster with one of these, which he ran in Vintage Drivers Club speed events to the embarrassment of others. At one 1/4 mile sprint event on closed road at Darley in the 1960s they ran cars in pairs side by side in pairs. Norm's T ran with a Vauxhall 30/98 and "streeted" it. So they did a re-run with exactly the same result. I suspect Frontenac heads may also have been prone to cracking. The Fronty T head I have has been massively repaired, but there is still one crack.

Joe Jagersberger was a Case driver at Indianapolis.

Stromberg made a nice aftermarket bronze carb as a bolt-on upgrade for the T Ford. This is the side-draft OF model.