I have an "itch" for a supercharged last version Riv...am I crazy?

Guest mstanleyfl

Guest mstanleyfl

I have an 83 Riv convertible which I really enjoy. Drive it as much as I can. Thinking about a last model supercharged coupe. Is the supercharged V6 engine something to be avoided?

I'm pretty happy with our '98 Regal GS. Same engine, smaller car. We did have to replace the nose section of the supercharger on ours after about 12-13 years. We didn't and still don't have a lot of miles on it, abut 78,000 presently but since we don't do any long distance trips I had no disappointment with bearing failure after that amount of time regardless of mileage. Now I did test drive a Riv of that same vintage and if I could have afforded it, I would have taken it.

Guest wildcat465

Got a 96 and loved it until I found out the front cradle was rusted. Traded for our 99 Silver Arrow and am having trouble keeping the miles down on it. :D

If you are seriously looking, spend the time and money to get one that is in good shape. There are getting to be mostly thrashed out examples of this model out there now.

I have just over 200,000 miles on my 1997, of which I'm the original owner. You can avoid problems with the supercharger by changing-out the oil reservoir every 30,000 miles. You will need a plastic spray bottle and a graduated cylinder to carefully measure 225 ml of the special supercharger oil, but it is no problem. I've also used nothing but Mobil One 10W-30 since new, and my rate of oil consumption remains the same now as it was at 20,000 miles: one quart every 7,000 to 8,000 miles, depending upon how it is driven. I can still get 30+ miles per gallon on the highway. The car has been mostly trouble-free over all those miles.

I would also advise you to look for a carefully driven and well maintained low mileage 1997-98 model, and not a well-worn or abused car. They are still out there to be found if you turn over enough stones. A little more than one year ago, a dealer in Charleston, West Virginia had a one-owner, diamond white 1998 for sale with only 15,000 documented miles on it.

I have "several" last generation Rivs ranging from a '95 with 60K miles to a '99 SA with 222K miles, they are all great! I have four of the eight generations and find these the best "road cars" of the "drivable" examples I have at this time. Generally get 26-28 mpg on the HWY out of any/all that I drive.

The 60K '95 is pretty much original, a few "minor" additions/changes, and had never given me any problems until this last trip to Lexington, some electrical/ignition issues I am looking into. The 222K SA had the transaxle rebuilt at 120K, but other than that is pretty much stock/original! Well, maybe "some" amount of general maintenance done over the years.

I did have a '92 with the 3800 that I ran up to 216K miles, and it still got 28.5 mpg before I gave it away, it was too worn out and beaten up to bring back. The engine is indestructible, other things might fail but it seems like the engine will go forever. The best/most desirable years would be the '98 and '99, they worked all/most of the "kinks" out of them, and then stopped building them!

Just my $0.02 worth,

Randall

Stick your foot into one of those and right at 2800 RPM you start smilin. If I bought another I would be sure to get the modified bumpers, too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]203191[/ATTACH] Bernie

This is a pretty sharp MOD, last info I had is he is doing them for $600 a bumper. He can be reached through/from the RivPerformance forum.