Plug wires for 1940 dodge

spjrr

Need to replace plug wires on my son's 1940 dodge d17. Have been told by many parts stores they don't carry solid core wires in 7mm and don't recommend them for cars on the street due to RFI interference and they have been outlawed in many states. Has anyone tried resistor wires on one of these old motors before. I run resistor wires on my 69 vette that has point ignition with no problems, but don't know how it would work on this older 6 volt system.

Thanks

Mark Smith

Guest Bob Call

I don't know about being "outlawed" but you can buy solid core ignition cables (plug wires) from performance stores like Summit. Also internet search ignition cable and you can find several sites that sell bulk (by the foot) cable and accessories. Also, stores like O'Reilly and NAPA should be able to get solid core. Modern silicone core is probably superior to solid core for a stock vehicle like your Dodge. Solid core is usually for racing applications where RFI is not a problem and the ignition secondary voltage is two or three times that of a stock vehicle.

Thanks, but still interested to see if anyone has tried resistor type plug wires on old cars with a six volt system. Yes I can order them from out of state, but none here in 7mm. I can buy race wires in 8mm but they won't fit through the wire routing thing they have on the old dodge. I have found 7mm universal resistor type and they look close to the stock ones that are on the car now.

Thanks,

Mark Smith

Guest Bob Call

All secondary cables are the same on both 6 and 12 volt. The 12 volt system has a resistor that drops the primary voltage to the coil to 6 volts. No reason that the silicone core resistor wires won't work just fine on your Dodge.

Too much bother to locate solid core wire. I have used the various types of resistor wires since 1965. Never had any problem. I sure made my transistor radio quieter though.

Coles Ignition sells precut wires for your car. Specify solid or resistor core. A great place to do business with.[TABLE=width: 601]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Coles Ignition & Mfg. (Hilde)[/TD]

[TD]52 Legionaire Dr. Rochester NY. 14617[/TD]

[TD]585-342-9613[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup>[/TABLE]

• 2 months later...
Guest rednwhitenblue

I also would try RJL AUTOMOTIVE FASTENERS & VINTAGE WIRING SUPPLIES. www.rjlautofasteners.com

They are a company the supplies the catalog industry with their wire sets..All their wire sets are show quality. They carry 7mm cotton covered spark plug wires in many colors 9mm wires and 12mm wire. They do all their own manufacturing in Upstate NY. They have been doing this since 1976

Guest rednwhitenblue

John passed away in 2007. The blood line family (John Cole) tried to get the the business out of her house (basement shop) and failed. So the family became a competitor to bring back the products Cole's cannot manufacture anymore.

Cole's has no manufacturing resource, so they lost a lot of wholesale / retail business.

Bought a spool of 7mm solid core plug wire from one of the bigger antique auto wiring houses many years ago. Can't remember which one now but I think RI Wiring, Harnesses Unlimited and YnZ's all carry the stuff. At tune up time I cut the wire I need off the spool. I get the end pieces and rubber boots from my local auto supply store.

If your '41 Dodge is like my '33 Plymouth, you will be looking for solid black laquered cloth to be authentic. The above vendors should have that as well as the fancier looking multicolored stuff.