1965 Riviera

Ace Barker

Hi, I am new to the forum and looking to buy a 1965 Riviera. I have found one and plan to look at it this week. The photo shows repaint and new upholstery (cloth but not an original pattern). Reads original engine (401). After reading the forum I see how to check the right front of the block and the vin to see if they match. Also printed off the option tag information to take with me.

I notice this car doesnt have wood trim on the console (I think that was standard) and also no trim around the fenders. Was the aluminum fender trim standard or optional? I also notice on may '65's the fender trim runs along the raised edge of the body/doors connecting the front and rear fenders. The clamshells are open so I am assuming they don't work.

Besides title, mileage, numbers, rust how it drives, is there anything I need to look out for and steer clear of?

Thanks!

Ace...

All 65's had the wood grain trim on the console. Only the custom interior option had the wood grain on the door panels. Stainless wheel arch moldings were standard on all Rivieras 63 - 65. It ended at the lower belt line as you described and there was a horizontal piece connecting the front to the rear and then from the rear toward the rear bumper; the car you're looking at seems complete in that area. The ribbed rocker panels were standard with the custom interior but could be ordered as an option on base interior cars. If this car has the custom interior - different seat backs for the front, wood panel on the door panels, door handles for the rear passenger, then it should have the ribbed rocker panels too.

Open clam shells; you're probably right. No way to diagnose that at this point in time.

Options on the Fisher Body plate are only for options for which holes, straps, cutouts, etc were made by fisher body before sending the body to final assembly.

Options like cruise, rear defroster, four note horns, which wheel covers, etc. are not on the plate. Those options could be added on the assembly line with no other preparation.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and keep us informed.

Ed

Wise to come here before buying. Fixing up a Riv isn't cheap and generally you are much further ahead to pay up front and buy a better car if you have the budget. If you find a possible candidate you can post pics and details without revealing the location to avoid someone seeing it and buying it out from under you.

Condition of body and floors would be my biggest concern. Check the floors by getting under the car with a screwdriver or similar object and try poking in various locations looking for common rusted areas. Also lift the mat in the trunk.

If you are serious about becoming a Riv owner the best money you can spend is with a membership to ROA. You will save the membership cost many times over as you purchase, fixup and maintain your car.

Heres the link to Joeys car.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/65-sale-353653.html

I came to this site because I wanted to become educated as best I could on the Riviera's. If I buy one, I will join this for sure. I did the same thing when I bought my Avalanche back in 04. The advice you wrote is invaluable for someone getting into this hobby. I have steered many friends and co workers away from "dream" basket cases unless you have a boat load of money, the time and skills. I tell them, buy a driver and enjoy it. Then you can address things as needed and keep driving. If it is a basket case it will sit as long as you have a job, kids, college and so on. I know for a fact because I have a 1939 Chevy I have had since 1975. I checked out Joey's car and it is very nice from the photos. Thanks for the link.

Here is the car I was looking at. I haven't seen it in person and has been on Craig's List for a long time. If t is someone's on this site, that would be good to know. Also I hope I am not getting into trouble for placing this link here. If so, moderators, please delete.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/3891549990.html

Harmon aka Ace...

Edited by Ace Barker (see edit history)

Here is the car I was looking at. I haven't seen it in person and has been on Craig's List for a long time. If t is someone's on this site, that would be good to know. Also I hope I am not getting into trouble for placing this link here. If so, moderators, please delete.

1965 Buick Riviera

Harmon aka Ace...

No problem posting CL or ebay links here. In fact they are welcomed as it can be a learning expereince for all. Looks like a nice car. While the seat upholstery is not an original pattern, it kind of goes with the car and might even be more comfortable/practical vs vinyl in hot weather. I noticed Joeys car has an original interior that looks really pretty nice. Over the years I have really come to love and value original interiors in good shape so that might appeal to you as well. Excellent repro seat covers are available for the 65 from Clark Corvair. Clark's Corvair Parts - Clark's Corvair - Upholstery

No engine or trunk pics of the GA car huh?

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

No problem posting CL or ebay links here. In fact they are welcomed as it can be a learning expereince for all. Looks like a nice car. While the seat upholstery is not an original pattern, it kind of goes with the car and might even be more comfortable/practical vs vinyl in hot weather. I noticed Joeys car has an original interior that looks really pretty nice. Over the years I have really come to love and value original interiors in good shape so that might appeal to you as well. Excellent repro seat covers are available for the 65 from Clark Corvair. Clark's Corvair Parts - Clark's Corvair - Upholstery

No engine or trunk pics of the GA car huh?

None. It's been for sale a while so I wonder about the trunk and floor pans and what is missing from the engine compartment. When I called to check on seeing it, it wasn't running and owner suspected a short. May be a simple as a battery but who knows? Joey has a very nice car and like the color and interior. Will see how it goes.

Texas plates...that explains the interior. If the pics are from the previous owner I wonder if the car still looks the same? The paint looks dull, be sure to check for sub standard body work that would be evident if there was a good gloss on the paint. Good luck,

Tom Mooney

This car has been on the Atlanta Craig's List for a long time and I believe they originally wanted $8500 for it. A while back I forwarded this link to a fellow BCA member here in the Atlanta area. I am not sure if he called the owner or went to see it but he told me the A/C components had been removed and were in the trunk.

One thing about this forum is the members are a great group of guys and they will not steer you wrong.

Good luck on your search for a Rivi!

Guest slacker1965
Thanks to you all for the information. The car in GA seems odd as it has been for sale for a while.

Ace...

ace,

I wouldn't worry about a car that has been offered for sale for a log time, the owner may be more willing to negotiate!

some other areas of concern; the engine condition: nailheads are expensive to rebuild, do a compression check or preferably a leakdown test

a/c: if it has it & it isn't working, they can be spendy to repair

title: georgia doesn't require them on older vehicles, it is a real pain to get vehicles titled that don't have a clear title,

ck with your state's DMV

if you don't live near atlanta, find a reputable shop to inspect the car....it make cost you a couple of hundred bucks(depending on what tests you want them to do) but well worth it in the end...

good luck!

keep us posted

ks