1958 Power Brake Master Cylinder

highcking

I am continuing work to get my '58 Roadmaster ready for safe driving. The previous "mechanics" made every possible mistake, used bad parts, etc. At the moment, the power brake booster works OK as does the master cylinder. I'd like to put a good rebuild kit in the master to be on the safe side. But I can't seem to find either a kit or a rebuilt master (or even an unrebuilt master). Advice?

Bill Shields

Luray, VA

Hi,

I never was able to find a kit either but up here in Canada there is a company called John Stuart that I sent the master and booster together for them to rebuild (not cheap) and as yet have put it on my Special.

I believe that someone advertised in Fountain Hills, Arizona that did them also but can't remember their name. Try a Google search if no one else chimes in here.

Doug - thanks. Even the power of Google is failing me. I'm assuming '58 must have been a one-year unit. The '57 unit is available though it looks different. I just can't believe the master cylinder doesn't interchange. I think I see a number on mine that I'm going to look at more closely.

Bill

Hi,

I never was able to find a kit either but up here in Canada there is a company called John Stuart that I sent the master and booster together for them to rebuild (not cheap) and as yet have put it on my Special.

I believe that someone advertised in Fountain Hills, Arizona that did them also but can't remember their name. Try a Google search if no one else chimes in here.

... At the moment, the power brake booster works OK as does the master cylinder. I'd like to put a good rebuild kit in the master to be on the safe side.... Advice?

Bill Shields

Luray, VA

Do not rebuild it if it already works okay. Instead, spend the time and money looking for and rebuilding another unit to keep on the shelf for when, if, you need it. And, for a second unit, instead of looking for just that part online, look for salvage yards that have old cars. Hemmings Motor News has several that I have not seen in the Buick Club Magazine classifieds.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Leif - I certainly will consider that. The '58 unit is mounted on the firewall so you'd have to find a new unit that would bolt up there. So far I haven't found anyone supplying this for a 1958 Buick.

Bill Shields

Why not change to a brand new 2 circuit power brake system.Most be easier to do than on a 1956 Buick as I did 1/2 year ago.

Leif in Sweden.

John - I agree with that plan. These units are as rare as an NOS part for a 1910 Buick.

Bill Shields

Do not rebuild it if it already works okay. Instead, spend the time and money looking for and rebuilding another unit to keep on the shelf for when, if, you need it. And, for a second unit, instead of looking for just that part online, look for salvage yards that have old cars. Hemmings Motor News has several that I have not seen in the Buick Club Magazine classifieds.

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1956-buick-master-cylinder-conversion-347858.html Here are the first input about the power brake conversion on my friends Buick 1956,as you can read, I have helpt him with the power steering conversion too.Nothing are destroyed other than 4 new hole drilled on the fire wall for the power booster, and on the frame for the power steering,if wanted he can put the old parts back without any problems.

I don`t think you can find a "bolt on" to you 1958.After all I don`t belive on all those "bult on"of all kinds,that`s just a way to sell parts and the seller don`t care how it works.

He is a surveyor in the Swedish car inspection so he want a safe old car to drive.

Leif in Sweden.