1961 Chrysler Newport 361 V8 starter

Guest Werty

Guest Werty

I am new to the forum however I wonder if any members can suggest where I can purchase a replacement starter for my 1961 Chrysler Newport 361 cu ic (5.9L) engine? Any help would be appreciated.

Werty

Respectfully, Chrysler didn't have the gear reduction starter in 1961, IF I recall correctly. It was a "direct drive" starter, which SOME 426 Hemi engines also used -- SOME, but not all, mainly with manual transmissions.

Now, using the "5.9L" nomenclature RATHER than the 361 cubic inch designation MIGHT get you in trouble! The B/RB engine family (first year being 1958), ran from a 350 cubic inch V-8 in the 1958 Plymouth Sport Fury (2x4bbl) until the 440 cubic inch V-8 in the 1978 model year. The "5.9L" designation was more popularly-used for the LA-block 360 cubic inch V-8, which is a "small block" LA 318 V-8 family member, which was introduced in the early 1970s. THEREFORE, please use ONLY the "361 cubic inch V-8" nomenclature (plus the model year of "1961") in this case to ensure you get what you might need.

Another possibility is that "they all go into the same place", which could very well be true. But you might have the best luck asking your local parts source for a starter for a "1961 Chrysler with a 361 V-8 engine". IF their database might show the 361 to be a "5.9L", that's fine as you've given them the correct information and THEIR parts listings are adding the "5.9L" rather than you, plus the "1961 model year" information.

Another possibility is www.rockauto.com. IF for nothing else, I use their listings for "research purposes" as they usually have the main brands AND part numbers for many older vehicles . . . vehicle model years which many parts stores' databases do not cover. With THIS information, then you can shop your local sources to help ensure you get the correct part, locally. Buying "local" is always good, when possible, as THEN you can look the parts person across the counter from you, "in the eye", and either tell them what a good job they might have done or OTHERWISE . . . something NOT possible via email or a phone call.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Have you tried your local auto electric shops? They can provide the starter you need or rebuild your old one. Much better quality than the typical parts store starter, and the price is usually lower.

This IS very true! Only thing is finding one still in business, by observation. Many of the older guys who had these shops have now retired (one way or another) and the shop either closed or is being run by "somebody else" (who might not have grown up in that business). Not unlike many older body shops.

BUT . . . when you can find one of these places, it can be a "diamond in the rough". Prices are good, quality and workmanship are better, and you have a good feeling (generally) about the person who runs the place. Only thing is that if it doesn't work, for some reason, and you're "away from home base", you'll probably end up at an auto supply (especially on Sunday!) getting a starter (remanufactured/rebuilt) with some sort of nation-wide warranty. But this IS a variable situation!

Most of the electrical shops will give you a warranty on what they did, but it can usually be for 30 days or so. In reality, if the unit doesn't fail within 30 days, it probably will not . . . unless there is some hidden issue that only surfaces under some very unique conditions, where failure might happen regardless of who re-did the item.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Werty
I believe the 383 and 440 starter will work also. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the input. I looked into that and found they appear to be different. WERTY

Guest Werty

Thanks NTX5457. I believe you are correct. It appears my starter is a direct drive unit which pre-dated the use of the gear reducer type units. I also was led to believe some of the starter bodies were 2 hole and others were 3 hole mounts. To add to the confusion some of the starters had threaded holes others had clearance holes and the bolts threaded into the bell housing. I have not removed my starter yet, but I believe I need the 2 hole mount, direct drive starter with threaded holes. I really appreciate your input. It sounds like you have encountered this type problem in the past. In these matters experience is the best teacher. WERTY

I live in a town of 15000 population. There is a good auto electric shop in the next town to the west (pop 8000) and 2 more in another town 50 miles away (pop 60000). No doubt there are others, those are just the ones I have dealt with and know are good.

There used to be a great shop right here in town, unfortunately it changed owners, they got rid of all the old testing and rebuilding equipment (it dated to the 30s - 50s) and now it is just another parts store.

The point is, they are around if you know where to look. If you do not know, ask the best mechanic you know.