Stewart Warner vacuum tank parts sought

R.White

Guest DodgeKCL

I also have some of those in my parts boxes. But we can pick them up at a plumbers supply store over here for a buck or two. They are called 'nipples' and are used to plumb lines for dishwashers,water softeners,air conditioners etc.

Guest DodgeKCL

Just as further thought. If the nipple is bottoming out before it becomes fuel/vacuum tight,they can sometimes have a bit of the end of the threads ground off. This shortening up allows the nipple to go further into the hole before bottoming. The nipples are tapered and they become tighter and tighter as they run into the hole. Also we don't assemble anything over here anymore without Teflon plumbers tape. These nipples will take about 3 or 4 turns of the thin tape. I then cut off the excess with a razor knife for show.

Those are common, hardware store, items.

1/8" pipe into the tank and 1/4" flares coming from the tank.

Get new flare nuts and some 1/4' OD copper tubing too and replace the whole works.

You WON'T be sorry.

I have new flare nuts and had to replace all the pipework when I restored the tank. The elbows are not the same thread here in the U.K. and I must have over tightened one and stripped the thread causing it to leak. Thanks for the good advise anyway.

Ray.

I do not think that these identical fittings can be purchased at the hardware or plumbers store, if they can than please purchase me a handful of them and send them too me, I will double your purchase price plus pay the shipping. Thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I do not think that these identical fittings can be purchased at the hardware or plumbers store, if they can than please purchase me a handful of them and send them too me, I will double your purchase price plus pay the shipping. Thanks

Then sell them to me for double the price you paid and we will all be happy;)

Sorry, Jason....I just couldn't resist seeing the funny side of it. Haha:)

Ray.

I've been buying fittings like that for years.

They simply aren't anything special.

Elbow Flare To MPT at Menards

17020081.jpg

Ray.......if nobody has offered I'd be glad to get the parts you need and send them over the pond....... :)

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Although they would work these have the appearance of modern fittings and to someone trying to keep the correct original look under their hood these would not do. Maybe they will suffice for Ray though

The threads on the new ones are both the same. The original ones have a fine thread and a coarse thread. The fine thread screws into the tank fitting.

The straight coupler also has a fine thread one end and a course thread the other.

One other thing that is not well known is that the original elbows have a steel inner for strength unlike the plumbing fittings which are plain brass.

I am looking for the "correct" period fittings. Thank you.

Ray.

post-78869-143141972144_thumb.jpg

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Ray, I knew that I was not going crazy in thinking I had these fittings, unfortunately I cannot find my stash and it may not even exist at this point, I remember sending someone else here on this forum some of these a few years ago. I did however find a couple of spares but if I were to send them than it would leave me up the creek without a paddle if it ever came to me needing them.

If KCL can help with what spares he mentioned having than that would be great, if he cannot than I will re-evaluate my situation and see what I can do.

BTW just to give you another avenue these fittings were used on 29/30 Dodge oil filter cartridges originally, you can start looking for DA motors laying around and hopefully they may still have their original oil lines attached where you can rob the fitting.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

post-48869-143141973893_thumb.jpg

Jason. I did not know about other utilisations. It gives me another avenue to explore. If anyone has these elbows (with coarse and fine threads) to spare please send me a p.m. I am not expecting something for nothing. To get round currency problems I use Pay pal.

Ray.