Easily flooded

414TATA

Hey Buick lovers

I have a 248 C.I. with dual carbs. If this Buick doesn't start with the first slow down push on the accelerator it gets flooded.

It will start on the next couple tries but I have to wait about 10 minutes between each, if the first try fails.

I drive this car at least once a week about 20 miles. The temp in the garage is about 70 / 75 degrees F.

Common? What can I do about it?

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super 51

post-78086-143141956228_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

You might want to consider a hidden push button starter switch.

When you step on the gas pedal you are operating the accelerator plunger on the carb, and sending a big gulp of fuel down the carb throat.

It ends up as a puddle in the bottom of the intake manifold and the next cylinder to open gets more than it can handle.

Mike in Colorado

When I had my 53 Special it used to flood in the Prairie winters. What I found worked was to depress the accelerator to the appropriate spot and then turn the key on and off and on again if it didn't start without moving the accelerator pedal. The idea of the starter being linked to the gas pedal was an excellent idea except in these flooding conditions.

Hey Buick lovers

I have a 248 C.I. with dual carbs. If this Buick doesn't start with the first slow down push on the accelerator it gets flooded.

It will start on the next couple tries but I have to wait about 10 minutes between each, if the first try fails.

I drive this car at least once a week about 20 miles. The temp in the garage is about 70 / 75 degrees F.

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super 51

I agree with getting rid of the pedal starting operation in favor of a momentary switch tucked out of sight. I did this on my 41 Century years ago and more recently on my 41 super

Me too have a Starter Switch under the Dash, in one of the original Holes on left Side of the Colloumn. 1. Because of the flooding and 2. the Danger while accelerating with a broken Vakuumswitch to damage my Starter and Flywheel.

Hey Buick lovers

Thanks

Wayne

1941 Super 51

Thanks guys. Looks like a starter switch will do it.:)

Danny

they are Stromberg and were both rebuilt about 22 months ago.

Oops, sorry Wayne, I did mean to get back to this.

Just a thought:

The pump piston stroke on Strombergs has 3 setting positions. It could be that the stroke is set to long and delivering too much fuel. Is the rod to the pump piston currently in the middle hole ??

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

The piston pokes out the top of the carb and has a rod running down from it.

post-58284-14314198034_thumb.jpg

See the three holes at the bottom of the rod?

Cheers

Grant

PS this image won't hang around long. It's a listing on ebay.