Brake Accumulator replacement instructions

SeanR

Honestly I don't know for sure. The instructions came from Barney Eaton (and maybe some other members here). I have changed my accumulator and I did raise the brace up but I might have been able to leave the brace in place. I just looked at my accumulator and there is a little more than 5/16" between it and the brace. Maybe other years are different from our '88 models and the brace has to come up in order to change the accumulator. Maybe someone will chime in and tell us.

The factory accumulator is next to impossible to remove with the brace in place.

With the brace removed for extra clearance, there is less likelyhood of someone cross threading the new one.

It is possible that you have a replacement accumulator ....... some do not have the boss in top and that will get you about 1/2 inch.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

FWIW...I've replaced several accumulators (all but one in 1990 vehicles). Never removed a brace (and most of the accumulators replaced came with the car off the dealer's lot). The difficulty is usually getting the leverage necessary to remove the accumulator w/o jarring the Teves unit.

Can be done but have to be very careful not to stress the silver thingie that sticks up in the center. It is best to remove the accumulator by lifting straight up until the thingie is cleared and that is difficult with the brace in place.

Even taking into consideration of that silver thing, I had no problems tilting the replacement OEM AC Delco accumulator and clearing the strut brace. It did not bend or stress, and I didn't have a problem starting the thread with risk of cross threading. One of the only reasons why I procrastinated. It's not necessary.