Essex splash lubrication

Hi guys,

I have heard that the Essex's splash lubrication system is somewhat flawed and can lead to cooked bearings under a number of circumstances. Can someone please confirm or deny this? Also if it is the case is there anything I can do to make the lubrication system more reliable? After just having new bearings poured I want to be very cautious.

Thanks, Tristan.

That Is a very Flawed statment! Treat it right, and it will last for ever. Set your oil pump controll on maxim stroke and leave it there. Make sure you know what your doing and do your best to understand how the oil splash system works. If you understand it, it will lead to proper maintenance and correct first time start up on new bearings.

The first Essexes had four cylinder engines. The six cylinder engine was introduced (I think) in 1924 and the first sixes got a reputation for throwing rods. Hudson subsequently corrected this problem. If you have one of these early sixes I would consult one of the Essex "gurus" who may be able to suggest a solution. Geoff Clark in New Zealand is an expert on this. He posts messages over at the Hudson club's Forum, at Hudson Discussions on Classic Car Forum , and if you post an inquiry there for him, you will probably get a technically complete answer.

Years ago I saw an article by a Hudson engineer explaining why they used splash lubrication long after others went to full pressure. There were about 10 reasons. I only remember one. With the Hudson system when you start your engine, the bearings get oil as soon as the engine makes 1 revolution. With a pressure system the bearings can run dry until the pump builds up pressure. This can take up to a minute in cold weather. As most engine wear occurs when the engine is cold, the advantage of the Hudson system is obvious.

I think the splash system was good up to a point. In normal driving it was fine, continuous high speed was its downfall. My father bought a 1947 Hudson when it was a late model. As continuous high speed was his middle name, the engine only lasted 2 or 3 years. Not long after, Hudson adopted the full pressure system like everyone else.

Thanks for the input guys, it appears that the lubrication system will be ok and ao I will leave it as is. I may tweak the gearing a kittle though to reduce the rpm the engine is doing at a cruising speed of aeound 45 mph.

Regards, Tristan.

You may be able to find rearend gears from another Essex or Hudson, with a more favorable ratio for faster driving. This would be a question to ask Geoff Clark on the Hudson Forum. Hudson engines had low-end torque and preferred not to rev high, so many of us have now retro-fitted our cars with either overdrives or more favorable ring & pinion sets (or entire rear axles from other cars) so that we can breeze along with the rest of today's traffic.

• 1 month later...

The 1924 Essex 6 had a pretty unsatisfactory engine and was a far cry from the potent 4 cylinder engines used from 1919-23. From the photo your car seems to be a pretty early 6. With a 5.6:1 rear end ratio at 45mph you are pushing it! The Essex 4 standard ratio was 4-2/3:1 and it is possible to fit the "pumpkin into an E6 rear end housing but you have to first find one, then grind out the housing flange a bit to get the crown gear to enter. You also have to use the E6 spider gears as the E4 had splined axle shafts while the E6 had just square shafts. If your car is a 1924 with 2-5/8 bore I kind of doubt that the engine has enough power to pull that rear end ration on anything but flat going. As far as I know, you could fit a 28-29 motor, whic are fairly common, and have a much better engine and driveable car.