technical information for a Dodge Brothers 1922 Roadster

Guest Griffin69

Guest Griffin69

Hello together,

I am new here; my name is Henrik and I live in Germany.

I have bought a Dodge Brothers roadster Construction year 1922 in the USA to myself.

VIN: A646559;

construction year: 22;

body style: 2 door;

Horsepower: 24.0.

The car is meanwhile also in Germany. Now the problems begin with the German safety standards authority :-( and I need your help.

Can somebody help(assist) me and hand over technical specifications to me for the car?

Length:

Width:

Height:

Noise level recorder:

Unloaded weight:

allowed total weight:

Maximum speed:

Axle loads:

etc.

I am grateful for all information.

Many thanks beforehand in all can assist me.

post-94502-143141947606_thumb.jpg

PS: Excuse for my awful english :-)

post-94502-143141947572_thumb.jpeg

post-94502-143141947586_thumb.jpeg

post-94502-143141947589_thumb.jpeg

post-94502-143141947592_thumb.jpeg

post-94502-143141947596_thumb.jpeg

post-94502-143141947599_thumb.jpeg

post-94502-143141947602_thumb.jpeg

That may be one of the nicest D.B I have seen. Some of your questions prob. cannot be answered I.E Noise level recorder, Axle loads but the others I am sure can be.

That looks like a 1926 not a 1922. I don't have access to the Myers website right now but they have the production numbers. I'm thinking that your serial number falls in the 1926 model year. Also based on the trunk lid that is a 26 not 22. My 1925 has a serial number of A169xxx. Jay

If frame number is the same as toe board number, A646559 would be a May 15,1926 build. (My '25 is # A388850, a 1925 build for the 1926 SERIES, with 12 volt positive ground system.) The mounting stud for the fan would be on the engine block for 1922, later engines had the fan stud on the cylinder head. Your car's body style would be considered a "Roadster", not a two-door, here in this country. Perhaps a "two-door Roadster" would be a satisfactory description. Your car has a 116 inch wheelbase, 2 passenger, weighs 2,432 LBS., The Rated load for your car is 1000 Lbs. Cylinder bore is 3-7/8" with a 4-1/2" stroke, horsepower rated at 24.03, (but develops 30-35 "brake h.p.", not used in registering car.) I was under the assumption all '26 Dodges went over to the 6 volt system and did away with the "starter/generator". the engines used a different manifold that also incorporated an air filter. Can someone please back this up?

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Guest Griffin69
That looks like a 1926 not a 1922. I don't have access to the Myers website right now but they have the production numbers. I'm thinking that your serial number falls in the 1926 model year. Also based on the trunk lid that is a 26 not 22. My 1925 has a serial number of A169xxx. Jay

Hi Jay,

Strangely, however, possibly....

Here is the original title.......post-94502-143141948182_thumb.jpg

of course without any name... sorry ......

I see that the engine is using the earlier type starter/generator with the fuse on the rear and cable on rear also, like the '22 had. The '25 model "GA" has the fuse on front top body along with the cable on connection on rear "side' of starter/gen. Neither the '22 nor the '25 has the oil filler tube like the one I see in your picture. Carburetor and vacuum tank looks correct for the '25. Vacuum tank fuel shut off is '25. Right side engine view is exactly like my '25 engine, WITH the flywheel inspection hole for timing purposes. (cover plug is missing in photo). only the spark plug wire holder on manifold is different, could be a home-brew set-up. Your 4-blade fan is 1925-1926-, the '22's all had a 6 blade fan. Anyway, I've seen PLENTY of typo's, (errors), on vehicle paper work. Best to check your vehicle number which is on the frame side behind the front right wheel, usually above the spring hanger. It can be very hard to read, since Dodge stampings were light and a restorer may have sanded down number even more and painted over it again.

If frame number is the same as toe board number, A646559 would be a May 15,1926 build. (My '25 is # A388850, a 1925 build for the 1926 SERIES, with 12 volt positive ground system.) The mounting stud for the fan would be on the engine block for 1922, later engines had the fan stud on the cylinder head. Your car's body style would be considered a "Roadster", not a two-door, here in this country. Perhaps a "two-door Roadster" would be a satisfactory description. Your car has a 116 inch wheelbase, 2 passenger, weighs 2,432 LBS., The Rated load for your car is 1000 Lbs. Cylinder bore is 3-7/8" with a 4-1/2" stroke, horsepower rated at 24.03, (but develops 30-35 "brake h.p.", not used in registering car.) I was under the assumption all '26 Dodges went over to the 6 volt system and did away with the "starter/generator". the engines used a different manifold that also incorporated an air filter. Can someone please back this up?

Hello Pete, great job.

Dodge went over to the 6 volt system March 28 1926 with the introduction of the B series engines. Not all D.B were converted at the same time but from what I have read most if not all were converted over by May the 3rd.

Cannot help you with the manifold air cleaner deal but will look for the answer and look forward to finding that as well.

Hi Griffin69, I believe you have a 1925 Dodge Brothers Deluxe Roadster, (series of 1926). Perhaps one of the nicest ones around too. The cylinder head number you show in one photo does not identify the year of the car. The engine number is on the flat area of the engine block, just above the carburetor. The only "true" way to date your car is the number stamping on the frame, on the passenger's side, just above the leaf spring hanger behind the front wheel. It will read, A- XXXXXX.(six digits) The car is definitely not a '22, as the rear fenders are completely different on the '22. I have a pair here. The wheel size was larger too on the '22's. Yours appears to have 21" rims. P.S., your English is just fine. Best regards, Peter.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Guest John1918

The car is 1926 series, built about 17th May 1926. If it didn't have an "A" with the serial number "646559" it would have been built in October 1921 and have been a 1922 series car. Beautiful car, I think if I had the pick between 1922 or your 1926 I would take your '26. Well done Henrik! John

Guest Griffin69

Hello, people,

many thanks for your great help.

The engine block having the number A646559 and the car is therefore 1926 Type B engine .

Built between 12. May and 20. May in 1926.

The problem with the title ist that the number witout the "A" is a 1922.

The frame number is A574-060

post-94502-143141950683_thumb.jpg

Does somebody maybe have the technical information for my1926 Dodge?

Thank you very much at all ....

Edited by Griffin69 (see edit history)

Do you have a book of information ( ? ) if not than I would suggest getting one, it is the equivalent of a service manual for your Dodge, I can and I am sure others can provide you with whatever tech info you are looking for but it would help if you were more specific on what you would like to see.

Guest Griffin69
Do you have a book of information ( ? ) if not than I would suggest getting one, it is the equivalent of a service manual for your Dodge, I can and I am sure others can provide you with whatever tech info you are looking for but it would help if you were more specific on what you would like to see.

Hi,

yes i buy the: 1914-1927 Dodge Bros. & Graham Bros. Repair Shop Manual Reprint

Shipping time 3 weeks :-(

Guest Griffin69
An engine swap?

Possibly...

The restoration of the car is approx. 25 years and what was exchanged there everything I do not know.

Hi,

yes i buy the: 1914-1927 Dodge Bros. & Graham Bros. Repair Shop Manual Reprint

Shipping time 3 weeks :-(

That will be a big help for you but you may also want to purchase the manual that would be correct for your earlier engine as it will have the specific electrics and proper engine characteristics.

In the meantime ask away and I am sure someone here will have an answer

That really is a magnificent looking D.B. Congratulations on your purchase! All of the body details such as hood/front cowl, fenders, side aprons, radiator, doors, and windscreen look exactly like those on my '25 touring car. If you google pictures of a 1922 D.B. you will see the differences very clearly. Either way, it is a beauty. Best of luck with it and good touring.

Henrick - Based on the frame number A574-060 you have a 1926 series car built between March 18 and March 26 1926. The engine number will always be higher than the serial number. Also based on information from the Dodge Brothers Club http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/DB_Production_Dates.pdf the 6 volt B type motor was "phased in" from March 8 through May 3 1926. This means that it is quite likely that your 12 volt engine is the original engiine for your car. I love the color. I may do my 25 roadster in that color. Enjoy it. Jay

• 2 months later...
Guest diego bouilly
This is my 1923 motor, I think it is all original. cheers

good morning,i need to know if a horn i´ve got(north east electric co.rochester n.y.)belongs to a dodge roaster 1920-1926.model X,type3715 A,volts 12.thank you

Edited by diego bouilly (see edit history)

Guest diego bouilly
That's what I have in my 25 Roadster. Jay

thank you,now i´m sure about what i found.i repaired it and sounds well.diego.