What is it? - should be indentifable by the radiator badge

nzcarnerd

My vote is for a 1915 Marmon model 48. The radiator shape and construction details, the front fenders and one piece windshield are correct for a model 48 The car that is labeled Moyer also looks suspiciously like a Marmon with the hood latches, number of hood louvers, one piece windshield and even seat profile matching up with a 48. It wouldn't have been the first time something was mislabeled

Nickelroadster - I hope you mean 1913 or 1914 because the style of the cowl and cowl lamps is definitely that era. The 1915 is quite different. Is there any difference between the four and six cylinder models of 1913/14 with regard to frontal appearance?

The frontal view could either be a model 32 or 48. My choice is a 48 from the apparent side view although it is rather grainy. The model 48 had a longer wheelbase at 144" whereas the model 32 had a 120" wheelbase. The side view looks to have a substantial wheelbase and I think it is more like the 48. I really can't see much of the cowl to make a judgement there. The hood on the 1915 48 flares out towards the cowl and that is something else that cannot be seen well. My frontal view of a 1915 48 does not show cowl lamps but that does not mean that they couldn't be had that way. What can you see about the cowl that makes you think it is a 1913 or 1914?

I can see a difference between 14-14 and 15 cowls on my side views but cannot see it on the site pictures. Are there any more views from the picture? That would sure help.

The 1913 and 1914 models appear to have separate cowl and hood - along with quite big cowl lamps - with a definite step between the two whereas the 1915 models were 'torpedo' styled with the hood flowing into the cowl and relatively small cowl lamps. A typical styling advance found in most American cars of that era.

You are right that the 1915 has more continuity from the hood to the cowl but the cowl still flares out and can be seen with a frontal view. The 15 also has more hood louvers than the 13 and 14 but that is something I can't see in the fuzzy picture. Are there no more views from the movie to see?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest brass-is-class
My vote is for a 1915 Marmon model 48. The radiator shape and construction details, the front fenders and one piece windshield are correct for a model 48 The car that is labeled Moyer also looks suspiciously like a Marmon with the hood latches, number of hood louvers, one piece windshield and even seat profile matching up with a 48. It wouldn't have been the first time something was mislabeled

The first of the series of photos of this car on the IMCDB website, the up-close shot with the driver, shows a large brass gas and spark quadrant below the steering wheel. Moyer cars had the gas and spark advance levers protruding from a brass hub beneath the steering wheel. The Marmon radiator emblem is oval, as was the Moyer emblem. Moyer and Marmon used the same radiator manufacturer during this period, English & Mersick Company of New Haven, Connecticut. The photo above labeled "1915 Moyer", is a professional factory photo of their Moyer Big Six, Seven Passenger Phaeton. It is parked outside the Moyer Factory show room windows on the sidewalk on Wolf Street, Syracuse, NY. Below are photos of a Moyer radiator emblem, the Moyer Big Six from the 1914 sales catalog and of original Moyer owners in their cars. Hope this helps!

Gary Smith

H.A. Moyer Registry

post-79129-143141994869_thumb.jpg

post-79129-143141994834_thumb.jpg

post-79129-143141994842_thumb.jpg

post-79129-143141994848_thumb.jpg

post-79129-143141994856_thumb.jpg

post-79129-143141994862_thumb.jpg

Edited by brass-is-class (see edit history)