shipping a big item oversea, how to start???????

wildcat1562

I sold a straight 8 motor and a transmission to a fellow Buick enthusist in the Netherlands a couple of years ago. In my case I dissasembled the motor for him as he wanted to have the block/head hot tanked and magnafluxed before shipping. I packaged/boxed the components and built a wooden box/crate that held everything. If memory serves me correctly it weighed 1200 to 1300 pounds. The buyer made all of the shipping arrangements. That is the best way to handle it as he takes care of all of the paper work and freight charges. A whole lot cleaner way to go. An air freight forwarder picked up the box and it went on its way to Holland. I have also used a guy who works for ABF freight at the local terminal that moonlights. He will crate a large item and that has worked well also.

I have some pictures of the packages and crate. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send them to you.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Edited by g-g-g0
spelling (see edit history)

I would call a shipping agent and find out what makes a "standard size" pallet. You never know if there is a charge for undersized packages but you can bet your every last penny there will be a charge for over sized. Then I would secure such a pallet and endeavor to build a secure crate on the pallet, around the engine. At this point you will be totally shocked at how much that thing weighs. But it is vital that you get an accurate weight. Any manufacturers around you that ship stuff? They may allow you to use their scale for the weight. Once you have a package size and correct weight then finding a shipper is the next step. My recommendation is to deal directly with the shipping company agent.

It's commendable of you for taking the time and committment by helping out a fellow Buick enthusiast overseas. :cool:

We really are behind the 8 ball sometimes when it comes to sourcing spares for our cars. I'm sure the buyer will appreciate your efforts.