Trim tag conmfusion

Guest Rooble55

Guest Rooble55

I picked up my '69 today and am real excited about getting to work on it. I am confused about something on the trim tag however - The car is definitely a '69 judging by the VIN, and has blue bucket seats with a console. However, the trim tag shows trim #691, which shows as a blue bench seat for a '69, but blue buckets for a '68. Does this kind of model year confusion just sometimes happen, or did someone maybe change the interior? Also on the trim tag it says BDY EUC226070. What is this? And near the leftmost rivet for the tag it is stamped either D3D or 03D. What does that siginify? Is there somewhere in/on the cat that details what accessorys it came with? It's got power windows, power drivers seat, tilt wheel, etc. Thanks, sorry for so many questions, but I'm new to the Riviera world and am eager to get the car back on the road.

There have been numerous threads on decoding data plates but I think most of them are for 1st generation cars, '63 - '65. The Fisher Data plates only display items for which a base body had to be adjusted for certain options, a hole here for a screw; a tab here to hold down a wire; etc. Other items that could be added during final assembly do not appear on the data plate. What type of radio - am or am/fm. Whitewall or blackwall tires. What wheel/wheel cover.

I doubt if there was confusion at the GM plant, more likely someone wanted buckets and swapped them in.

I'm thinking the 03D is March (03) the 4th week (D)

Hopefully one of the 2nd generation gurus will add to this.

Yes 03D is body build date of 4th week of March of the model year which in your case is 1969. What is your VIN#? VIN should be in the high 30,000s, maybe low 40s I'd think with that build date.

Assuming you are looking at the color and trim listing on the ROA website? Could be a typo on the color and trim for 69 as the 690 series numbers are typically optional buckets in 68/69, not bench. We'll have to check into that. Seats did get changed and sometimes even at the dealer but that would be uncommon and in your case even less likely especially because swapping a bench for a bucket/console car is a "big" job. My guess is you have the interior your car was born with.

As Ed said options codes were not used on the body tag in 69 as they were 67 and earlier.

Edit Update - I have confirmed through the 66-70 ROA Tech Advisor that code 691 is bucket seats. The color and trim chart on the website is in error and I will see about getting it changed.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest Rooble55

I couldn't imagine that someone would go to all the trouble to convert a bench seat car to buckets and a console back in the 70's. I guess it's a relief to know that there was an error in the trim chart on the website.

BDY EUC 226070

EUC = Euclid, OH

226070 = body sequential number

I have lived my entire life in Akron, OH which is only 50 miles from Euclid. GM has never had any plant in Euclid. All Riviera's were made in Flint, MI. The closest plant is in Parma, which was Chevy and is still in operation.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

71-73 Technical Advisor

The Fisher Body plant was at Euclid, OH. For 1966-1970 the Riviera bodies were built at Euclid and then shipped to Flint for final assembly, so the Fisher Body tag says Euclid (EUC) and the Buick VIN says Flint (7th digit = H).

Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:FISHER BODY DIVISION OF GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)