Florida repeals 10% ethanol law

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I read a blurb from SEMA that Florida just repealed the law that requires gasoline vendors to blend 10% ethanol in their fuel. I wonder how many company's will do that and how much more they will charge for their fuel.

It removes the requirement so the market can decide. " 526.201-526.207, F.S., the Florida Renewable Fuel Standard Act, toremove the requirement that all gasoline offered for sale in this state include a percentage of ethanol..."

Even better " 316.305 Wireless communications devices; prohbition: A person may not operate a motor vehicle while manually typing or entering multiple letters, numbers, symbols, or other characters into a wireless communications device or while sending or reading data in such a device for the purpose of nonvoice interpersonal communication, including, but not limited to, communication methods known as texting, e-mailing, and instant messaging."

Guest steveskyhawk

Ethanol or any other types of alcohol never caused anything to rust. The problem is that alcohols are water soluble.

This ability to absorb water is why these blends with alcohols are incompatible with use in an aircraft. The water that might have been liquid at nice warm sea level may very well freeze when brought to altitude where it is very cold

Guest Richard D
It removes the requirement so the market can decide. " 526.201-526.207, F.S., the Florida Renewable Fuel Standard Act, toremove the requirement that all gasoline offered for sale in this state include a percentage of ethanol..."

Even better " 316.305 Wireless communications devices; prohbition: A person may not operate a motor vehicle while manually typing or entering multiple letters, numbers, symbols, or other characters into a wireless communications device or while sending or reading data in such a device for the purpose of nonvoice interpersonal communication, including, but not limited to, communication methods known as texting, e-mailing, and instant messaging."

I agree that is a needed law, but when I saw it on the news the FHP spokesman said it was a second class offence, the driver would have to be stopped for something else, can not be stopped for just texting. He really did not have to add the last part.

When I was rear-ended last year my Sat-Nav recorded the exact time (to the fraction of a second) and location of the event (could even see being pushed about 8 feet). There were no complications but if their had been I planned to subpeona the other driver's cell phone records including texting.

This gas/ethanol story changes with the report. At the start, corn prices went up because processors were paying more for the corn so they could make ethanol. Then I heard from a corn producer that was not entirely true because there is the corn we eat and the other corn that is fed to cows/hogs, chickens etc and that corn is used for ethanol.

The next stories indicated that a gallon of ethanol cost more to produce than gas. If true, then gas with ethanol should cost more.

The problem is we are few information that various groups want us to hear/read. Everything we buy today seems to be manipulated.

Barney nails it. The real reason for the continued use of ethanol is subsidies for it's production. It long since ceased (if it ever was) to be about reducing environmental impact or any other decoy excuse for the change. Money - that's what it's about and the fact that some are profiting handsomely from ethanol mandates [due to the subsidies primarily] is why it is still here 20 years later. Barring that, the market [left to it's own devices] would almost certainly have gone back to straight gasoline long ago.

This comes down to the fact that everyone has an agenda or vested interest, so they talk their book and use tortured statistics, propaganda and even flat out lies to create support for their point of view. It is very clear to anyone truly paying attention and keeping themselves informed that this problem has gotten worse - and those doing it much more brazen - in the last two decades. Personally, I have almost entirely dispensed with watching TV (especially so-called "news") as it the principal instrument for disseminating this type of deception. Best sources of information now are online, by way of news and analysis sites run by those who are not in someone's pocket.

And yes, the corn used for production of ethanol is not suitable for consumption as food for either man or beast. If food [corn] production becomes an issue due to population increases or weather related problems, this will end quickly. Reason being that ethanol corn fields will need to go back to making edible crops or there will be shortages. If there are serious food shortages, things get "real" very quickly.

In any case, it is great to so Florida get their minds right on this issue. Just wish we could do the same in MO. We did recently have the vapor recovery system on gas pumps here removed, as the law that mandated them was finally struck. So, maybe there is some chance that we could go back to real gas again if the current legislative trends here continue.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Guest steveskyhawk

My guess is that you will always have ethenol blend gas if you live in a state that grows corn. Follow the money.

As a side note; Prior to 9/11 there was talk of a new blend of avgas called 80NL or 80 octane unleaded. My old low compression Cessna 172 would have loved that stuff. 9/11 nearly killed General Aviation and now we are lucky to get any avgas at any price. I constanly have plug fouling, valve sticking problems using 100LL which has 4 times the lead as the "required" 80/87 which is no longer available. I can use unleaded auto gas if I can find it without alcohol or ethenol. (same thing) which is also unavailable in California.

The only hope I have is the environmentalists which are pushing for unleaded avgas. It would work well in my little plane but the bigger high compression recips need more octane and that is a problem the engineers havent figured out.

Steve,

Your post reveals the complete lack of logic caused by market distortions. The preferred avgas for your needs is no longer available, but you can buy 100 octane leaded - with 4x the amount lead as the fuel that would be ideal for use, if only it were still available. And this in CA, ground zero for all manner of environmental regulation. How is it that a fuel with 4x lead is readily available, while the lower octane with much less (or no lead) is not?

The only other plausible explanation I can surmise is that the 100LL is needed for a much larger number of aircraft in use, so it is allowed to exist despite the high lead content. Even then, that doesn't explain the lack of availability of the low/no-lead 80/87 that you state would be best, unless that is a fuel mix that is not in high demand because it would only be used in a comparatively limited number of aircraft.

The take away is that subsidies and regulations predicated on junk science and/or emotional outbursts from the loudest and most obnoxious activists (irrespective of the cause du jour) make us all suffer by creating market distortions that would not occur if things were just allowed to work on their own. At some point, the costs and limitations imposed by all of this stuff make life more miserable than if we had done nothing and just ended up suffering the consequences of our inaction. I suspect we are nearly there, as there is no money left to fund the ever greater snafus being imposed at an ever accelerating pace. In simple terms, this is the point of diminishing returns.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

Advancing the timing makes sense but I believe the A&P mechanic is required to set it to "spec". There is no advance mechanism on the mags either. 1940's technology. Reliability is first priority with performance and efficiency being distant seconds. Carburetor ice is a real problem with this engine. I have had it happen more than once in flight.

Guest steveskyhawk

Returning to the original topic: if California repeals the ethanol requirement for motor fuel I can and will legally use unleaded mogas in the plane. I tried it and that engine likes it.